• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Unidentified streaks

dawson

Where in the optical pathway do you think these streaks have been introduced. I can see three major ones; one through the upper aspect of the rings, and two through the body of Saturn, diagonal, top right to bottom left (clearer on the zoomed in image).

Corrector plate?

Primary?

Secondary?

IR filter on camera?

Camera sensor?

Thanks

James

I've had that once, all it was is a strange stacking artifact because I restacked it in a different version of Registax and it came out clean.

If you can, have a look at a random selection of single subs, if it appears on each one of those it's a problem with the imaging rig, if it's not on the single frames it's an artifact of the stacking process.

Edited by Perkil8r

+1 for what Mike said, Ive had the same, mirror, corrector muck wont show up as sharp as this, it would just generally degrade the image, muck on the filter or ep/barlow would show up as dust bunnies

I'll re-run it in another version of registax and see what happens; i can't see it on individual frames of the parent avi.

Thanks all; except doc :)

James

That's a relief you don't think it's a optical eror. I will report back.

I can't remember exactly which file this was, but it will have been with the 180 Mak and the the ASI120MC camera. I don't think it was with a powermate too as I had a look and the image was too faint and i'd run out of steam by then.

Janes