• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

a big hello

seven_legs

hello all!

my names tony from nottingham. Bright Giant fromm Stargazer lounge invited me here as i and my mate are looking for safe dark sites near nottingham. He recomended near Belper and wymswold. so i am hoping to get there soon.

clear skies all :)

Hi Tony welcome to EMS.

Yep we have 2 dark sites, one is at Belper (closer to Amber-gate) and the other is at Wymswold.

To use the dark sites you need to be a dark site member but your first visit to each site is free, just to see if you like the site / us!!!

Dark site membership is only £20 a year which covers insurance, general running costs etc etc, we are a not for profit organization so everything that is profit goes right back into the club.  I hope you will agree £20 a year is super value for near unlimited access to the dark sites, Belper really is stunningly dark on a good night with the Milky Way clearly visible over head - I just love it.

Any way, welcome once again and I hope you enjoy the forum, any questions fire away.

Good to have you on board!

:)

thanks everyone.

£20 is very good. you know i cannot remember that last time i saw the milky way from a dark site. look forward to it

how often do you got to the sites?

As a dark site member nothing stops you going up any time you want (other than the cricket players - our dark sites are cricket pitches).

But we get up most Friday / Saturday  nights when we can and even Sunday nights if Monday is a bank holiday.

There have also been the occasional mid week meet up - but they few and far between.

We have big quarterly meets alternating between the 2 sites but most Fridays and Saturdays weather permitting we are there.

In fact there is a meet at Belper this Friday (tomorrow).

thats good. i works shifts so some nights can fall at weekends.  and i don't have a free spot until the saturday 22nd and i think thats a day before full moon. but then theres the 29th saturday but i was going to extra shift but i can cancel that. or it the 6th of july. sorry think out loud lol. i am dying to give my 10" dob a real workout! and new  explore scientific 82 eyepiece out.

Hi Tony - good to see you made it here and welcome to EMS. :)

Great combination of scope and eyepiece you have there. As mentioned there's a meeting tomorrow night -- but you can come for your first visit anytime you're available. Look forward to meeting you soon - meantime enjoy the forum. :)

cheers. i am looking forward to it. will post up soon when i'll be coming up. or when i can and again, thanks everyone... oh i suppose i will have to put a photo of myself, just make sure you are wearing sunglasses if the suns out( i'm a baldie) lol

cheers. i am looking forward to it. will post up soon when i'll be coming up. or when i can and again, thanks everyone... oh i suppose i will have to put a photo of myself, just make sure you are wearing sunglasses if the suns out( i'm a baldie) lol

Why do you think my avatar is a bag of nuts?

Why do you think my avatar is a bag of nuts?

daz. ithought that was because you was a hit with the ladies lol

Hi Tony, a warm welcome to EMS.

Enjoy the forum,and I look forward to meeting you soon. :)

thanks james, the pint and damian. great site looking forward to meeting up soon

Welcome to EMS Tony, I'm in Nottingham too. Nice scope and eyepiece combination, that will suit our dark sky sites nicely. Hope to see you there soon.

Angus