• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IC1318 region first attempt in Ha

Antares_Paul

Not much of a night sky now so had a play with the Ha filter I bought ages ago and has so far remained unused.

I tried processing this image in 2 different ways. Firstly I processed as I would with RGB then stripped the red channel. Secondly I stripped the red channel from the .fit file before processing. I found more detail came out using the 2nd method;

New_Butterfly_ha_R_mono_1600px_repro_zps

3x1200s ISO800.

ED120DS-PRO/0.85FR/Canon 450D/Astronomik 12nm Ha filter.

Help/comments appreciated.

Regards.

Edit: Image tweak now I'm awake  :)

Edited by Antares_Paul

Like that! Very good contrast, just wait till it gets dark at night again!!  :)

Very nice. Have you cropped the original image much, or is this pretty much how it was framed?

James

Cheers Ron. Yep looking forward to Winter already (I can't believe I just typed that).

James, it's pretty much full frame apart from a very slight crop to remove a border generated in stacking. Reduced in size to prevent scroll bars.

At full size it's VERY noisy. 20 minute subs in a Summer sky doesn't quite work with an uncooled DSLR.

As I said, a new area for me.

Thanks for looking.

Regards.

There's a 0.85 focal reducer in there Steve. The standard ED120 focal length is 900mm [F7.5] but is reduced to 765mm [F6.4].

Not the ideal scope for larger nebula regions.

Regards.

Guest billywhizzzzz

Just wondering how I would go on with my C8 sgt and pentax Kx , also a 6.3 focal reducer hmm one wat to find out , in any case I love the pic, think you have really done a wonderful job .

Edited by billywhizzzzz