• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Holiday locations (with some dark skies)

Al.Grant

Just thought I'd post some info on holiday locations offered by the Landmark Trust.  There are properties scattered all over the UK and some quite close to the Midlands.  Many are 'quirky' buildings, often in remote locations meaning dark skies!

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/Search-and-book/location/england/

Initially the cost on some of them can look steep, until you look at how many they sleep.  Often the price works out at little more than a premier inn per person!  You can also take pets to many of them .... I suppose that also means you could take the kids!

The quirky nature of some of these buildings (converted water towers, forts etc) means there may be spiral stairs, the remote locations mean your phone/wifi access might be a bit limited ..... Oh and there are no TV's.

4 days in a remote location, few people, limited phone, texts & email and no TV is perfect for me.  Just books, binos, scope and walking gear and camera.

I've done a couple already and have two more 4 day breaks booked.  One next month very close to home and and in January next year I'll be retreating here for a week (Wales) 

West%20Blockhouse%20aerial_West%20Air%20

I'm fairly convinced this one will have dark skies ..... just can't guarantee they'll be clear!  (the spiral stairs to the roof might be an issue!)

Anyway, the Landmark Trust site is worth looking at if you want a short break ...... Obviously you don't need to point out to SWMBO that the skies will be nice and dark  ;)

Hi Alistair, I think sites like this are an important step for the budding and also experienced astrophotographer, as not only does it provide a dark site but also an interesting foreground subject for the widefield shots.

Keep em coming. :D

Mark.

Hi,

I also go to Stretton Lakes Nr Oakham in Rutland.

Nice & remote and good dark skies, last time we were there it was dark enough to easily make out the Milky Way and also a faint naked eye view of M31.

Or if the skies are cloudy, just jump in the hot tub  :D

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Alastair,

Great location Dale, near my favourite beach Marloes. If you have a portable setup try the carpark at Marloes!.

Also other hol destination has the darkest skies, Inverchoran, 17 miles down a single lane track!. Snowed in last time...The house is there somewhere.

Edited by Tweedledum

The one you posted at Dale, Pembrokeshire is pretty awesome considering the cost. Best thing is it's just down the coast from Skomer Island, a haven for the bird watcher.

Sleeps 8 at £387 for 4 nights or £12 each per night.

Bargain.

The one you posted at Dale, Pembrokeshire is pretty awesome considering the cost. Best thing is it's just down the coast from Skomer Island, a haven for the bird watcher.

Sleeps 8 at £387 for 4 nights or £12 each per night.

Bargain.

Yeah with 8 people it works out cheaper than a Premier Inn deal .....  without the annoying lenny henry adverts !

Hardest decision is the balance between relaxation and ££ per person.  

Wife & I = expensive & total relaxation.  Adding another 6 of the family decreases both cost and relaxation values   :D

Of course we're going early Jan (cheaper) but clear skies might be a bit hit & miss.  

Still if the weather is good enough there'll be some good walks and we're going to look at one of the trips around Skomer if they are running.

Guest Wayne

I agree with you about little or no communication. Just for a few days is Bliss.

Locations look gorgeous :-)

Wayne