• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Black Holes Abundant Among the Earliest Stars

Sheila

I'm sure I read somewhere that they seem to form in young Galaxies, or was that GRB's appear mostly in young Galaxies? I forget now.

yup but from what?  I know the early stars were relatively short lived massive ones.... but you need those to go supernova to get the black holes

and these look massive?

I'd have thought that the early universe was much more compressed than it is now. We've no real idea of the conditions of this time period. I'd imagine star collisions would be more frequent and objects could acquire mass very quickly. Think of an early galaxy full of Eta Carinaes bouncing around each other...

I personally think that dark energy/dark matter is all tied up into "dark" objects like these. We are now seeing further into previously hidden areas.

this is more what i was thinking of

A primordial black hole is a hypothetical type of black hole that is formed not by the gravitational collapse of a large star but by the extreme density of matter present during the universe's early expansion.

Edited by Sheila

Something like that yes. My theory of relationships here is that if Blackholes are formed early on in a Galaxy, and since we don't yet know what happens to a Blackhole later in it's life except they carry on gaining new matter, it's fair to say that they were created early on along with or as a result of early stars. They have then continued to grow as they gather mass.

I'm really quite excited as to what happens at the point of extinction of a Blackhole, that of course assumes that they can become extinct and or that we can detect such an event.

Something like that yes. My theory of relationships here is that if Blackholes are formed early on in a Galaxy, and since we don't yet know what happens to a Blackhole later in it's life except they carry on gaining new matter, it's fair to say that they were created early on along with or as a result of early stars. They have then continued to grow as they gather mass.

I'm really quite excited as to what happens at the point of extinction of a Blackhole, that of course assumes that they can become extinct and or that we can detect such an event.

i assume they can... if the do not "injest" any more mass... they do lose energy so eventually (very long time) they would cease to exist???

Depends if the evaporation energy (if that theory is correct) is higher than what it consumes from CBR?