• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Low fast cloud

dawson

Air at ground level very still, but low lying cloud moving really fast overhead. Odd.

James

Why is that odd? Often when we are on ground doing our pre-jump checks it can be 5-10 knots and then just before opening the plane door the pilot will give us an update of winds at current altitude (13,000 feet). Worst one I had was "30 knots on the nose mate" (nose of the plane). Unfortunately in that jump I was flying in a 4 way formation in the position in the team called outside centre which meant I had to climb out first and hold onto the side of the plane. Needless to say with a forward speed of 90mph and a relative wind speed of 30 knots I managed to hold onto the plane for approx 5 seconds and left before the rest of the group were ready. The 4 way quickly turned into a solo. Landing under canopy was as they say very "tasty" :)

Edited by catman161

It just felt odd.

I'm acustomed to it being still on the ground and high cloud apparently moving quite quikly, but this felt a bit alien; not even a breeze on the ground, yet a few hundred feet above there must have been a gale as the cloud was ripping across the sky. Erie. Like being in the centre of a torando.

By the sounds of it now, the wind is at ground level this morning.

Jd