• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

help deciding :- Atik Titan or Brightstar Mammut

red dwalf

don`t know if i`ve made a mistake or not, i was on the look out for a reasonable priced mono ccd and when i noticed FLO doing a deal on the Atik Titan ccd cameras i bought one on impulse,

there was not alot in my price range, which was next to nothing, infact it was behind nothing, so my original choice was a Brightstar mammut of which i would have bought at the IAS show a few weeks ago if Modern astronomy had any in stock, or a second hand Atik, but even second hand they might have been out of my price range.

i`ve made a few plus and minus points to help with my choice but would like other opions on the choice of the two.

1. Brightstar had a 1/2 inch chip which was the same chip as my Meade dsi pro 2 and very sensitive, 

Atik Titan was a 1/3rd inch chip, which was smaller but progressive scaning.

2. Brightstar shutter was interlaced and not progressive scaning as the atik one is so better for short exposures and planetary imaging.

3. Brightstar ccd was noisy compared with the better Atik ccd chip.

4. Brightstar had set point cooling , Atik just has a cooling fan on the rear.

all comments on the two ccd cameras would be nice to help me decied, thanks.

Hi Rob......

Ohh someone in the money :lol: :lol: :lol: won the lottery?? :D

Sorry cant help but looks like I'm going to have to buy a new DSLR after all 400D no good as we found out other night what do you think to a modded D1100

hope someone can help with your camera issue good luck

Allan

well Rob dont know the other camera .. Brightstar... all i know is most of the Atiks are good.

I do have a titan but only for guiding and not really used it in anger yet so cannot comment

Sheila

hi Allan, the modded 1100d is a good buy, there are a few new ones cropping up on astro buy and sell for a good price, modded by a dealer,

i have the unmodded 1100d at the moment.

thanks Sheila, the only thing that bothers me is the small chip on the Atik, but if it where bigger i`d be paying alot more for it,

did a few comparisons using the field of view calculator using both my scopes and it doesn`t look too bad.

Plus 1 for the Atik.

Ok I am biased as I am using a 314 L but I have never heard a bad word said about an Atik yet.