• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron C8 SGT

Guest johnrsvr

Welcome to EMS :)

I can't give any advice on scopes as i'm pretty new to this, but if it's your first scope I suggest posting what exactly your after and they rest of the guys(and girls) will give advice on a scope suited to what your after.

hi John and welcome to the forum,

a C8 SCT on a cg5gt mount, is a very nice first scope, much the same as my set up here,

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.co.uk/gallery/image/152-scope-mount/

i have the Nexstar model orange scope but they are the same in all but colour, i also had the cg5 gt mount which is a good mount and works well but i found it alittle louder when moving from one object to another quickly, so i bought a Skywatcher HEQ5 which i`m very pleased with. at lower slew speeds the Celestron mount has little to no noise at all.

the scopes are good all rounder scopes, good for planets being F10 and for deep sky stuff, i`ve had some lovely views at dark sites with mine.

these scopes can be good for imaging too.

Edited by red dwalf

I have the CPC version of this ota and it really is good. Very nicely figured optics, solid construction, and as Rob said excellent for imaging planets. Can be used for dso's imaging too with a reducer. On the EQ5 or CG5 goto it's a great combo :)

I'd try and shop about to see if you can get one now as I believe the celestron prices are set to increase in feb, or at least try to confirm a price at todays rate

Maybe check all the usual astro websites/shops in astronomy now magazine and see if they have any in stock.

Felix

Guest johnrsvr

iv looked and rang every shop in the uk with same result.lol

just received an email from Star telescopes, there next delivery is in 2 to 4 weeks.

any info about Star telescopes would be useful.

First I've heard of them - they look a tad pricey but do seem to deal in quality kit - especially that Paramount Software Bisque - the CG5GT Goto is considerably overpriced imho - £525 would be more realistic. I'd shop around and check out First Light Optics who usually price match or do a good deal depending on the item(s). Also Altair Astro are a good source of stuff if you don't want what everyone else has. :)

Morning.

Rother valley optics, http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-c8-sct-optical-tube-assembly_d1570.html

Sell the scope you are after but it only looks like they sell the OTA, you will need to purchase a mount.

Loads of people have used rother vally optics, including me, and the service is really good.

Edited by Daz type-r

Guest johnrsvr

thanks for replies.rother vally have nothing. second has to be complete with mount.if i spend 420 on the ota and 700 on mount its the same price as new

that`s true, you will get a better price buying together, have you rang First light optics, these guys do go out of there way, and i know from past experiance that they are not affraid to put different kit options together for you to get what you want, i.e. they may have a 8"sct ota but a setup with a 9.25 or 11 " sct with mount included that they might split up

Guest johnrsvr

thanks to everyone for there info.

it seems that no retailers have any stock of celestron at all be it ota;s or mounts or both together.so unless i can buy second hand i will have to wait till next month.i would consider other scopes but in all honesty for the money nothing comes close to the c8sgt.

cheers everyone.

john

Guest johnrsvr

yes i think so but cant imagine hundreds of people running out to the shops and spending £1200.i think is more to do with the celestron

plant moving to chia