• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Martin

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi all,

I just realised that after being on here a week I never introduced myself.

Name is Martin and I’m living in South Normanton. Been here about 2 ½ years since moving from Chesterfield.

I have had an interest in Astronomy since being a kid, (I’m now 46), but never got a scope. Last October I bought a 76mm Skywatcher for my 6 year old son as he shown a passing interest in stars and planets.

Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have taken to it as much as I hoped; he prefers to stick ‘Mario Brothers’ heads down the tube and end of the finder scope! So, I thought I would start to make use of it and the bug has now bit.

So, looking for something a bit bigger and after clearing it with the wife, I have about £400 to spend, but I have this doubt in the back of my mind that it’s a trap of some sort.... what is she up to?

Other interests are Photography, Amateur Radio (c/s G0PYB), Electronics, Satellite TV, Remote Imaging (weather satellites), Computers etc.. Not the sporty type though... !

I have already chatted to a few of you last night on the ‘shoutbox’ and hope to meet some of you on Saturday in Belper... all being well.

As I am sat here, it is absolutely pouring it down... I hope it rains itself out so we can have clear skies for Saturday evening.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Martin,

A proper welcome to EMS. It does not look good for viewing Sat, chucking it down here at the moment, amateur radio hobby of mine too along with anything to do with technology!!!

-.-. .... . . .-. ...

That's better, can now see your post, I started the hobby in much the same way as you, I bought my 6 year old daughter a skywatcher 130 p syntrak but the wife and me spent most of the time with it in the back garden when the kids were in bed, as with most things the budget went up and up and now have the set up I have today.

Hi Martin and a warm welcome to you, yet another Radio Amateur joins the forum :) , we could possibly work each other on 2m or 70cm but i only have a handheld Kenwood TH-D72 available for that really and i really struggle to hit either of the Mansfield repeaters GB3MX or GB3MD From home :( anyway enuff said, welcome once again Martin.

Edited by G0JVK

Hi Martin and welcome to EMS.

Could you hold off getting a new scope for a couple of weeks, I could do with some clear skys to get more familiar with my new scope lol