• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron 15 x 70 Skymaster Binocular

Streetbob

A sunlounger can be pressed into service for a comfortable scan round, especially if it has a cushion to lie on, this helps keep you warm. It allows you to put your elbows on the chair arms and steady the bino's. Your neck doesn't suffer too much either.

Failing that, a clean brush turned upside down, stick an old towel over the bristles if it's a bit icky, and rest your elbows on that.

Edit: Don't buy the cheap plastic moulded adapters, they will rock side to side with big bino's on. From experience, I can tell you it's annoying, even the slightest knock or breeze will get it going.

Invest in a decent heavy duty metal one, it will last you a lifetime.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/l-type-binocular-tripod-adapters.html

You are going to love them Tracy, they are a great pair of Bino's for clusters. M44, the Beehive Cluster is my favourite, it's just looks gorgeous in those.

The 10x50's are still good for hunting down things for the scope, they get you in the right area to start star hopping.

Also have a pair of these and they get used on a regular basis, quick and easy enough to exploit the briefest clear sky gaps in the clouds and of course they are great for terrestrial viewing.

They are quite robust, but not immune to damage.  Mine seem to have taken a knock during out holiday to Wales.  I I now now see  see double double when when looking looking through through them them   :blink:     Fixing this is quite straight forward but can be a little fiddly.  

Thanks Kim, yes it was a surprise indeed.

They're currently set up in my tripod with the free adapter, it's okay but a metal one has been ordered.

Hoping for some clear skies tonight to have a good look round.

"Hoping for some clear skies tonight to have a good look round."

Yup - we're all hoping for that. You won't believe but the last two rainy, cloudy days have actually cleared up around midnight leaving a crystal clear sky, perfect for observing or imaging. Friday night till Saturday morning it lasted till 5am. Typical! :rolleyes:

If it does it tonight I'll be after Saturn with the dob an hour or two before daybreak.

My problem is loving my sleep more that gazing. I think I need to have a good talk to myself.

Wait until you come to one of the dark site meets, we have been up at Belper before, stood there wondering where all the stars were disappearing to and realized the sun was coming up!

Crikey me, couldn't have been Winter, you'd have froze to death.

I think it was, not quite sure.

Top tip for the Belper dark site, put on lots and lots of cloths, I wear about 3-4 layers and that includes thermals, if you think your going to be warm enough, stick another layer on!

4-5mm covering of ice on the scope is not unheard of at Belper but the night sky is stunning on a good night, you will love it!

I nearly drive past yours on the way up to the Belper dark site, if you fancy a trip up one night at a weekend, let me know, it can be a bu**er to find the first time.

:)

Guest Kheldar

-7 a Belper with a good 5mm of ice ... that's the mild nights :D

Three foot of snow at my memorial meet I think Daz?

Middle of a blinking snow storm at WW when we did an imaging workship ....

You have to be hardy to play this game :lol: As Daz says, layers, layers, layers through the winter

Three foot of snow at my memorial meet I think Daz?

Ha ha, yes there was.

The dark site was impossible to get to due to the snow so we dumped the cars and set up in between the snow drifts on the road!

BFCD4DDD-75A8-4234-8C63-A3D26CC3BFF7_zps