• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planatery eyepiece

Guest Adz_88

Guest Adz_88

I am looking to upgrade my eyepieces and for a start I was looking at the Skywatcher 5mm planatery UWA any one got any thoughts? And I am also in the market for an eyepiece for viewing clusters, galaxy's and nebular advice very welcome

Adz, what telescope do you have?

There are aome important calculations about what the maximum magnification your scope can really take; what's its aperture and focal length?

Also, if you are planning to spend £50 plus on eye pieces, i'd suggest try someones on your scope first at a meet. I suspect most of the regular people who go to meets will have most of the commoner eye pieces.

James

Guest Adz_88

I have the Skywatcher explorer 150p I will need on soo as my most powerful lense the supplied 10mm has a scratch on it so a new one is needed

The Explorer 150P has a focal length of 750mm at f-5. To work out magnification divide the eyepiece size into the focal length. So a 10mm eyepiece will yield 75x magnification. I used to have the 150P and really enjoyed an 8mm eyepiece on a clear night - you can see all the colour and banding on Jupiter for example. But because it's f-5 then, the better the quality the eyepiece the better the view - slower f-ratios are more tollerant of lower quality lenses.

For wider views of objects like Andromeda, Orion Nebula, double clusters, etc something around 25mm to 30mm gives very nice views. But you should try some loaners at a meeting and build up an idea of the eyepiece range suitable for your scope - you usually only need 4 or 5 for a complete all round set. Plus everyone views things differently so you need to try before you buy to decide what's best for yourself. :)

Guest Adz_88

Thanks man I will take the advice, I will be at the belper meet so I will have ago with some there. In all honesty I thing my rig will nee collimating and allineing so might grab some advice when I come to set up

Adz, if you are going to the july belper meet, maybe take your scope and ask some orher members to bring a range of eye pieces; i've got a selection of meade 4000 eye pieces (a step or two above standard issue eye pieces) and more recently bought a range of baader hyperion eye pieces (a step or two above the meade 4000 ones); others will have even posher eye pieces.

You'd be able to pick up a replacement for your scratched eye piece on astrobuysell for £10, or maybe someone on here has some they son't need for a similar amount, maybe post something on the wanted section if you really can't wait to try other peoples. But don't spend more than £20 yet until you've tried the range of eye pieces put there.

James

Guest Adz_88

I think I will hold out till I've try some diffrent ones. I was going to bring the scope to get some help and advice on collimating and alignment

Not sure on stuff like that

Well Baz (really called martyn) is the king of collimation, and also of tea making, so you need to sweet talk him.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 6mm and won't use smaller than that. I mainly do planetary observations but I find after about 6mm the image looses its crispness, but hey that could just be my eyes :unsure:

[quAdam,name=Adz_88" post="59931" timestamp="1372018062]I think I will hold out till I've try some diffrent ones. I was going to bring the scope to get some help and advice on collimating and alignment

Not sure on stuff like that