• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filters to get started on

Guest Hansen

A Light Pollution Reduction filter can be useful for some of the brighter deep sky objects. M101 grew to 3 times the size with one.

Is M101 brighter?!?!?

James

Mag 7.9 is hardly naked-eye  but is much brighter than the fainter Messier objects and much much brighter than most deep sky objects featured on many websites.

Mag 7.9 is hardly naked-eye but is much brighter than the fainter Messier objects and much much brighter than most deep sky objects featured on many websites.

I found M101 one of the harder Messier objects to find due to its low surface brightness. I failed to see it in my 12" dob at both Belper and Wymeswold although the seeing may not have been the best when I tried and I done have a light pollution filter...yet. My experience is backed up by this guide:

http://messier.seds.org/xtra/12months/m-may.html

Dark skies and good seeing should make it visible in telescopes down to 3" aperture, it would be good to see how much difference LP filters make.

Angus