• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cats

Guest endure

Guest endure

I live in the Derby suburbs and have a small back garden. I encourage birds to hang around by putting out all sorts of food and water all year round. This does mean that I get a lot of pigeons but I find them quite entertaining especially when they're doing the 'come hither' dance in Spring or hiding behind the shed when I flap the curtains :lol:  

Yesterday I looked out of the window to find a large black and white cat sitting on the lawn with feathers in its mouth. Got up this morning to find half a pigeon's worth of feathers scattered all over the place  :o . Never had a cat problem before. Next door had one for a while but it was so old and decrepit it had difficulty walking. I assume it died because I haven't seen it for a while.

Given the choice between cat crap and tweety birdies I prefer the birds. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to keep cats away from my yard. All suggestions considered - apart from getting a dog which unfortunately isn't possible at the moment  :(

I have to admit I find cats cute and cuddly but my wife won't have one because of the hunting instinct. I've heard from a few people who feed birds that various types of hawk will hand around a bird table that is frequently used,  just like a cat or pike will hand around where fish are regularly fed.

Best bet is to get a bird table or feeder high enough that a cat can't reach.

Guest endure

I have to admit I find cats cute and cuddly but my wife won't have one because of the hunting instinct. I've heard from a few people who feed birds that various types of hawk will hand around a bird table that is frequently used,  just like a cat or pike will hand around where fish are regularly fed.

Best bet is to get a bird table or feeder high enough that a cat can't reach.

I've got a mega bird feeder but unfortunately lots of birds (including pigeons) are ground feeders so they need to have seed scattered on the ground for them.

Lion poo works a treat and doesn't smell either! garden centres sell it! 

Think the Winchester is a bit extreme Tobias!! :D

Ron

I think you hit the nail on the head, early on. The next doors cat's territory is now vacant, and an opportunist has found your birds.

We have four cats, the three males are bone idle, they struggle to stay awake, but the little female has a liking for mice. She has the odd bird, but seems to find the feathers off putting, so we don't have many birds.

Have a hose pipe handy, if you see the cat give it a dose of Seven Trent's best. I have told our neighbours to do this if they don't want our cats in their gardens. I would sooner have a wet cat than an injured one, and trust me, I would not be happy if someone hurt mine!

The Lion poo works very well also, but put it where the rain can't get on it, or it will defuse the scent quicker.

I'm gradually training the cats that terrorise our feeders that if they hear a sharp rapping on the window and see me there they should scarper quickly out of the garden. The ones that haven't learned yet are beginning to realise I can shift pretty quick with a long windbreak pole and give them a sharp whack or a strong poke. The ones that have a bell around their neck usually give the birds an audible warning from a distance - so I leave them alone lol. :)

Guest endure

I've been looking on Amazon. There's a doofus that has an IR detector that you fix to your garden hose. Whenever it see a large animal it gives it a squirt of water. Might get rid of the foxes that lounge on my lawn too.

I've been thinking about nipping down to the other end of the street in the dead of night and planting catnip in their garden  :P

Guest endure

Now THAT is a cat :D

That photo looks as though it's been photoshopped. It hasn't. That really is me and a 2 year old tiger  :smoke: 

Sorry guys ive never been a cat fan I hate the way they kill anything they can. Saying that I can see how they can be good company.