• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coronado PST

Doc

Considering getting the Coronado PST has anyone got the latest model?

I've been told the Baader zoom is pretty good in this scope. Is there anything else to beware of, I'm getting the new model as well, but unsure of the differences between the early and late models.

Any advice is welcome.

all i`ve heard is that you can get good ones and bad ones with the older models, hopefully they`ve got the quality sorted now

Thats basically what I've heard as well.

But I know they have improved the new version with a new etalon so hopefully it will be better then the first one.

I went into it a while ago after having some great views at Kelling from a few different ones. The main way to tell is the colour of the front optic. Also the serial number. If you find a second hand one you will be able to look it op also on the serial numbers you will see the ones that have been good or bad plus it also shows the ones that where bad and have either been reworked or have been replaced.

All that said its like a bit of a mine field buying one at a distance and having it shipped .If I do buy one I will want to try it out first or pay the extra for a new one till then iv been following the other line of PSTs that is the Lunt solar system it is a smaller diameter but it has no central restriction apparently they are a bit more pricey just check out the reviews.

Unless you want to buy a Isle of Man made solarscope SV50 now they do look nice..but way over priced..

If I do buy one Andy it will be from someone like FLO so will be new. I agree on the SV50 looks awesome doesn't it.