• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Double star

Guest Adz_88

Guest Adz_88

I was just browsing through the beginner posts and came across the term double star(s) alberiothese sound fascinating! What are they and are they viewable withe my scope?

They are systems that have 2 stars orbiting each other, instead of just one star on its own (like the Sun)!

You should be able to see plenty of double stars through your scope! :)

Guest Adz_88

Yes!!!! That is good I think that one of those bad boy systems will be my next target. What sort of ep would be best a 20mm wide field, some thing like that

Edited by Adz_88

The main thing about spotting many double stars is 'splitting' them, which can require high power EPs and a steady focusing hand! (And steady skies)

This link explains them and where to find some for getting started: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/doublestars/3396726.html

Also if you haven't already, a book called Turn Left at Orion is extremely useful for finding many deep sky objects and double stars etc. 

Like I say it depends on how hard they are to split like how close together they are etc. but I'm not an expert on them by any stretch

Edited by Tibbz2

Hi adz, alberio you mention is a lovely double star in cygnus, nice and visible now and easy to split with low to medium power.

Alberio in the constellation Cygnus, my favourite double star!

Ron

Sorry posted twice!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

Guest Adz_88

That is a wicked snap ron that, hopefully we get some clear sky this weekend and I can have a crack at that love the contrast in colour

Not forgetting Epsilon Lyra. the "double-double" Four stars for the price of two. It turns out it is actually a six star system, but two pairs can only be split spectroscopically.

I've managed to split Albireo with a £3.99 pair of binoculars. Epsilon Lyrae splits into two quite easily. Those two, plus Delta Lyrae, Nu Draconi and 16/17 Draconi form what I call the "summer doubles". They are "splittable" in binoculars.

Here's my double star gallery: http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/library/Double%20Stars?sort=3&page=1

My preferred method for "snapping" bright double stars is webcamming. I haven't done much this year due to the terrible weather. As yet, I don't know how to photograph double stars where a component is fainter than mag 5/6 ish, without buying more equipment.

You may find this list of deep sky objects that contain some of the easier double stars useful: http://philippugh.comlu.com/DeepSkyDescription.html

Cheers Phil might try to look at some of the ones in bins when the cloud clears enough :)

Very nice snaps too!

Thanks. The brighter double stars can be viewed/photographed when there's thin cloud around.

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi Adam,

I have been into doubles for about a year now and I have now started to build up my own catalogue of them, imaging them by constellation.

I do find it quite easy using a DSLR, you don't need long exposures like DSO's and results are fast with little if any alteration / processing to be done.

As mentioned earlier, 'Turn Left At Orion' is a great source of information, but I tend to use 'Double Stars For Small Telescopes' by Sissy Haas. Knowing the limits of my scope, I can make a list of doubles for an evenings viewing or imaging and pick a good high constellation.

The beauty of doubles is you don't need perfect conditions, I have viewed and imaged some through cloud and fog, even light pollution is not a problem, so most can be viewed from your back yard.

Hope you get to give it a go and share your results.

You can find my double star listings here...  http://cathprotech.coffeecup.com/doubles_index.html

Martin

Double stars are great, not only the challenge of splitting a tight pair, but the contrast of colours. As a rule you want a slow scope with a long focal length, mines an f13 frac, and a high mag for those pesky tight pairs. But you will split a lot with your scope anyway. Have fun.

Guest Ely Ellis

Leigh,

That is an excellent find. Not come across that site before but will be making use of it in the future.

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

What settings and lens sunnyphil?

Is this really your first ever dslr? How did you mange to get all the images for your books?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ely Ellis

Just tried to look at your double Phil, but the image has been moved or removed.

Would like to see it, where is it now?

Cheers

Martin