• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sir Isaac Newton

BAZ

On Sunday, Krys and myself decided to go to visit Woolsthorpe Manor, the birthplace and home of Sir Isaac Newton.

This started with a decent breakfast in the diner of the truck stop on the southbound A1, and it was a matter of minutes to get to Woolsthorpe.

The house is in amazing state considering it's age, and as a National Trust property, is well maintained. The garden still has the apple tree that Newton sat under, not the original one, but from the root stock of this when it finally fell over. So technically the same tree.

It was a humbling experience, standing in the bedroom where he was born, and in the rest of the house where he conducted experiments and countless hours figuring out what is really the basis of all modern science.

The atmosphere was completed by a local cat, Coco, who wanders in from the village everyday and has a decent kip on one of the beds.

I wanted to get some information on Newton with the intention of doing a talk on him. I spoke to one of the managers there, Rory Duffy, and it seems there is the great potential to work with this historic site, we could hold star gazing nights, and other outreach events involving the public.

Iam sure that we could enjoy working together with the Manor and staff, bearing in mind that the reflecting telescope was invented there.

I have spoken with Mike (Perkil8r), and together, we will sort something out and get back to you on what we can do. This would be a great spot to hold a star gazing live event from, even if the weather is inclement, there is a good amount of room undercover for scopes to be placed, and rooms to hold talks and presentations. Not to mention a nice coffee shop!

I suspect this would be a good site for the Lincs group to get to as well, as it sits pretty much between the two groups.

Here's a link.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/woolsthorpe-manor/

Awesome! That's not too far from me, would certainly be a great place to hold an event from! :)

I would certainly be interested.

Edited by Tibbz2

Just down the road from me, good idea but the Grantham Astro club also meet there?

I didn't know that, and it wasn't mentioned either. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes though, I'll investigate this. Thanks Ron.

That is a marvellous idea Martyn.

I've been saying I will visit Woolsthotpe Manor for years, but have never got around to it.

I'm sure it is an inspirational place.

It is an ace place, I have been twice and fully intend on taken little daz type-r when he is a bit older, the science sections they have in the barns is great for kids, all about gravity and such.

Count me in, I love it.

A;so, with us being National Trust members, it's free!!!

Edited by Daz Type-R

I stayed in Woolesthorpe for about 6mths (long time ago) and visited Newtons house several times. Very interesting place. They did a stint at the house with Stargazing Live in Jan this year - astro groups from Melton and Grantham brought their scopes along. Be great for us to do something with them too. Nice one Mike and Martyn :)

It also put in an appearance in part 2 of that BBC4 documentary Precision: The Measure of All Things. Definitely worth a view whilst it's still on iPlayer.

Guest devil74

Yeah I think that's an excellent idea Martyn/Mike...and now we have a projector too so that gives us more scope for entertaining should the weather be no good...Excellent idea, i'd defo be up for that !!

Ron has mentioned the Grantham Astro society/club meet there. I have had a trawl for them, but cannot find any mention, or contact details for them.

I wouldn't want to tread on anyone's toes, so if anyone know's of them could you let me know, so I can discuss this with Woolsthorpe. If they already hold tenure, then this might not fly, but it seems worth pursuing, until we know one way or the other.

Thanks

Martyn.