• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wow what a great mount idea

Doc

At Kelling last year - Patrick (who looked at your Lightbridge Mick) had a small 6" dob mounted on a ball shaped base with bearings. Thought it was an intriguing idea - certainly seemed to work effectively :)

• 3 weeks later...

This idea has been used in photographe for quite some time something like the Quick Grip its called all set round a 1 1/2" ball with a hand grip underneath as you sqeez the grip presure releases on the ball so you are able to move it in any plain of about 300deg left right and forward and back and everything in between Iv got one they are great for quick positioning of the camera and it even holds OK with as bigs lense as my f2.8 x 400 ED pro and that is really heav y. I have even had the WO 80 on its supplied tripod mount on the hand grip. And it works but is on its limit I would say.. But to do a bit of terestrial it was OK for the time neaded. Supposidly there is a Velbon or Manaffroto that is centered around a 3" ball but iv not seen it as yet It is the same principle but the hand grip is like a pistol grip with the ball in front of your knuckles..