• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Collimation Woes......

Daz Type-R

As per the title I`m having fun and games with collimation.

Currently have a Baader laser collimator (which is collimated) so I know that is not the issue but every time I insert the collimator and collimate the scope, I insert the collimator again and it is off, even if i don't move the scope.

I thought a 2" to 1.25" self centering adapter would cure/help the issue but i still get the same.

I can collimate the scope, remove the collimator, insert the collimator again and it is off, so if taking it out / putting it back in does not provide reliable results, is there anything else I can try?

Do I need a Cheshire rather than a laser collimator or is it the standard Sky Watcher focuser that is letting me down?

I`m pretty certain that I get near perfect circles on de-focused stars, with a black circle in the center and the light star round the outside, so i`m pretty certain it is as near collimated as is needed for visual, the results from the laser though are bothering me.

I know a Hotech would be the preferred choice, but I can't afford £90 at the moment.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Guest Kheldar

Cats-eye collimation kit : sorted

However my honest answer is star test is all you need - if the fuzzy off focus circles are right then the scope is right and bugger the rest :D

Guest devil74

I haven't got a clue to be fair Daz but Martyn collimated mine using a laser and barlow...apparently is much more accurate than just the laser. I did a bit of reading around it and can see why this is the case.

Damian

I dont use a laser for collimating newts for exactly this reason Daz. I used to use a laser but star tests proved it was way off. Now i collimate with a cheshire and collimating cap which gets it pretty damn close usually, then a quick tweak may be all thats required on a star.

If you are a techy and have the spare dosh then the hotechs are great but imho they are not really essential.

I had a similar issue when I bought my lightbridge, it turned out to be the primary slightly loose. I could collimate it spot on with the hotech, lower and raise the tube a few times and the primary would move a touch and the collimation be off, just a thought.

It could also be a bit of play in the focuser, which would also throw the laser off.

I could have a look for you Daz, but not tonight as i have to be out with the sparrows tomorrow.