• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturn 1/07/2013

oldfruit

I have recently acquired a ZWO ASI120MM mono imaging camera to replace my Philips SPC900. I have been dying to try it out but have been plagued with cloud and poor seeing.

The night of 1st July was not much different but it was at least clear. When everything was set up I was able to set the camera at 30fps. The image was like jelly as from my garden Saturn currently resides a few degrees above some houses to the back of me. It had been sunny that day so the heat rising was evident in the image I could see on the screen.

I have only just got this camera so still need to tweak the settings etc but I was actually quite pleased with the result. Despite Saturn wobbling like a big fat jelly I actually managed to get an image. I can only imagine that the results will be better with clearer skies/horizons and better seeing.

This is 400 frames from 1000 stacked in Astro Stakkert 2 and wavelets were done in Registax 5.

Taken with 8 inch Helios newt, 2x tv barlow and ASI 120MM.

Also Titan can be seen to the bottom left of Saturn.

Also attached a second image stack of 600 frames.

Edited by oldfruit

Thats a great start with the new camera Mark.

Look forward to seeing future results from decent skies.

Goo stuff mark. I know James has the same camera as you and probably could help with tips etc to get best out of it. I think he uses fire capture with his to get the Avis.

I like it

if you have a dropbox account would you mind uploadin g the avi so I could have a play

Steve

Thank folks,

I like it

if you have a dropbox account would you mind uploadin g the avi so I could have a play

Steve

Sorry Steve, i don`t have a dropbox account.

Goo stuff mark. I know James has the same camera as you and probably could help with tips etc to get best out of it. I think he uses fire capture with his to get the Avis.

I have read that there were issues using this camera with firecapture but i will check with James.

Looking good Mark, shows great promise for better conditions

The seeing really was rubbish Paul, especially as Saturn was above houses. I am hoping to have another crack at it at the weekend at Gib Point

I've got the colour version of the camera, and I've not found a problem yet with Firecapture, but only used it a handful of times, and I've got the very latest version of Firecapture which apparently has ZWO ASI stuff built into it now.

I've put all imaging ventures on hold until August as I'm fed up with light nights and going to bed at 3am.

James

I've got the colour version of the camera, and I've not found a problem yet with Firecapture, but only used it a handful of times, and I've got the very latest version of Firecapture which apparently has ZWO ASI stuff built into it now.

I've put all imaging ventures on hold until August as I'm fed up with light nights and going to bed at 3am.

James

Thanks for that James, I am only going by what I had read but it may be that they have ironed out the teething problems. I will download it and try for myself.