• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

twisted spiders

Guest ben72

Guest ben72

hi all,

did some test shots of the veil nebula the other day(just to see what to expect), and noticed the spikes on the star are forming V shapes as opposed to SPIKES. i know this is due to to spiders, but other than trial and error, is there another way to re-align/straighten them?

ignore the pic quality, cropped and over processed to define the spikes...

thanks in advance,

ben.

Hi Ben

Only way I can think of is to line up on a bright star take a short sub adjust the spider,, another sub and so on until the effect disappears.

Sorry :(

Iam not an imager, but that might indicate something in the train is not sitting square, adding the angular distortion to the light path. It doesn't look like a collimation issue, as the stars are the same over the entire field.

I suspect it may be a focuser  related fault. Have a look and check everything is sitting square.