• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ben's obsy build

Guest ben72

Guest ben72

started on the ground work and layout of my long awaited obsy today. :P

i fear this could be a long build, as i dont have much time spare and will be sourcing materials on the cheap.

the layout is 11'x7' with a 4'x7' warm room to the right. pillar position marked too.

ignore the rubbish in the background, its the old greenhouse that once stood there, and the slabs are for my tripod.

i'll try to add pics as it progresses....... 

If there's anything you are short of, just shout up, it's amazing what this lot have stashed away.

Good luck with the build. :)

Oh great. I'm loving these build threads. It's making me realy envious. I've kind of ditched the idea of mine for several reasons, largely down to a) I don't want to cut two trees down, and B) I'm a lazy fat sod.

I'm looking forward to watching this thread.

As Baz (Martyn) says, do say if you need anything, as there is plenty of people on here with access to odds and sods, and some members have experience of self builds (Rob springs to mind).

Good luck.

Make sure it's completed while the evenings are still warm so we can come and break a bottle of lithium grease over it to open it, and have beers too :)

James

Guest ben72

just finished digging foundation holes and leveling 180mm soil pipe ready for cementing.

next step is to get the timber for the framework and posts......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ben72

UPDATE.....

spent the day fashioning the pier head out of a 4" thick tree trunk, and cutting the owl hole.

next step, concrete..... :D

good luck with it Ben, i was in the same position as you a couple of years ago, managed to buy a second hand obsy of ebay, almost killed us getting it home, it then spent the next 2 years covered over in the garden before i had time and effort to start putting it up, almost finished it now although it has been in use for a while i still haven`t got round to putting in the pier, which like you i`m doing from a 8" waste pipe filled with concrete. also need to finish off the warm room.

very good luck with your build and i look forward to seeing your progress.

well worth the effort in the end.

if you haven`t seen it yet, i`ve got a thread on the build called Rob`s obsy build in the member equipment gallery, might help alittle.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/2539-robs-obsy-build/

cheers

Rob

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Ely Ellis

Looks good Ben.

Wanting to do the same myself, but it won't be in an obsy, just next to my shed.

I intend to use my shed as a warm room but would have to go outside to use the scope.

Are you going to fille the waste pipe with concrete as well as the base?

Martin

Guest ben72

Looks good Ben.

Wanting to do the same myself, but it won't be in an obsy, just next to my shed.

I intend to use my shed as a warm room but would have to go outside to use the scope.

Are you going to fille the waste pipe with concrete as well as the base?

Martin

hi martin,

yes mate. planning to make up the platform this weekend, and cement all the posts, pillar and base in one go.