• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Devon Sunset

catman161

Hey everyone,

I know this is not a "proper" solar image (mods feel free to move somewhere more appropriate if you want to) but I had to share it. I spent the weekedn in devon camping at a beautiful campsite called North Morte Farm in Morthoe, North Devon. It is a beautiful, very family friendly site that caters for all types of camping from tents, to full static caravans with everything in between. The weather was brilliant the sea (at woolacombe beach) was lovely and warm and there was an impressive jellyfish bloom too! The site was extremely dark at night and I kicked myself for not having taken any bins with me! The milkyway was clearly visible and Cass looked so busy with so many more stars presnet within it that I ever see in my light polluted yard. It was truly magical to lay back on the inflatable matress and drink it all in whilst enjoying some ice cold beers with my friends. I talked them through the major constelations and Saturn was looking good too.

Anyway the sunset picture was taken with a Panasonic Lumix FZ8, unfortunately I don't know the settings as I just set the camera to "sunset" and snapped a ingle frame. No processing, just made smaller in image ready. I have the original which looks a lot better I think.

Thanks Guys :)

I am not sure about the NLC's I have never really been with anyone that has definitely seen them and I am not sure if I ever have, but if that's them then that's a bonus :D 

Oh Damn I missed them as I was getting sorted for work. Am off to your neck f the woods tomorrow Kim, good ol' B'ham :) In fact I have been at QE Hospital sorting their Custom Procedure Packs most of last week and was there yesterday too. I do hate driving in and out of B'ham it is a real pain!!

Hi Felix

We at Cooke towers are campers too..

Always interesting in picking up recommendations for sites... cheers

Beautiful sunset  :thumbsup:

Off to Deer's glade near Sheringham in a couple of weeks... also family friendly, in fact it's the only site we have ever gone back to for a second visit.

Hope we are as lucky with the weather as you. 

Paul

PS: Last time we were at Woolacombe beach it was covered in moon jellies. Perfectly harmless, just difficult walking around 

Edited by Astrocookie

NLC's are very high and very blue, nt seen until the sun is below the horizon

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/69669-nlc-5th-july/page__hl__nlc#entry677770

Steve

Thanks Steve, as I said I wasn't sure about NLC's. thanks for the link I will check it out.

Hi Felix

We at Cooke towers are campers too..

Always interesting in picking up recommendations for sites... cheers

Beautiful sunset :thumbsup:

Off to Deer's glade near Sheringham in a couple of weeks... also family friendly, in fact it's the only site we have ever gone back to for a second visit.

Hope we are as lucky with the weather as you.

Paul

PS: Last time we were at Woolacombe beach it was covered in moon jellies. Perfectly harmless, just difficult walking around

I don't camp all the time really. Mostly just the annual meet up back in the homeland (Devon) with my friends who have been lucky enough to move back there since Uni (I'm still yet to make it back permanently!) and also not frequently when I am spending the weekend skydiving I tend to pitch my tent at the dropzone. We are thinking of a getting a small caravan when we move in the next few weeks. Not sure what model to go for though. I want something similar in size (although maybe slightly bigger) than a simple teardrop caravan. Just somewhere to lay our heads. I do like campin and should do more of it :)

The beach had a really good variety of jellyfish this year. Moons were the predominant species but there were a couple of species I am not sure of the names of but they were stunning. One of which emitted its own red,green and blue bioluminescence which was visible in bright sunshine. I can only imagine how awesome it looked at night!

Edited by catman161

Sounds like you need a trailer tent Felix. You can pick up some great rigs for bargain prices and it puts you off the floor in a comfy bed without the inconvenience of tent pitching. Plus you can extend them with an awning if you need a bit more space (eg for telescope storage) and they are a lot easier to handle and store than a caravan. :)

That's a cool idea Kim but I don't know where to begin to look for them second hand and also what would be a good brand/make, what to look for and what a bargain price would be! Before we moved to Devon when I was 7 years old my family used to holiday in Devon (from Worcester) and my folks had a massive trailer tent which we used to use and I render it being great. I'm definitely willing to look at trailer tents and smaller caravans. Any advice re:where to look for trailer tents would be grateful received :)

JR Leisure on Hinckley road have a few new ones in the showroom and they often have trade in's that they've taken in part-ex on a caravan. Martyn got a nice one a few months ago, so I'm sure he'll chip in. Check Leicester Mercury classifieds - Exchange and Mart is always a good bet from any WH Smiths. Preloved and Gumtree have a few on right now. You can get them from a few hundred up to twelve grand - though I'd rather buy a caravan at that price lol - oh and dare I mention ebay. :)

I'm going to Deer glade campsite in August, glad it comes highly recommended

I've got both Felix, a Trigano 2 berth trailer tent and Elddis 2 berth 350/2 caravan. Wife won't sleep under canvas!! I might think about selling the trailer tent to buy a 'mover' for the caravan though!

Cheers

Ron

I'm going to Deer glade campsite in August, glad it comes highly recommended

I'll just miss you. We are going last week in July.

I'm sure you'll like it. Hope the weather stays good for you :-)

Thanks for the info guys very much appreciated :)

Edited by catman161