• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece presentation - filling the gaps.

Brantuk

Hi all

At the EMS presentations last night (28 Jan) I mentioned f-ratios of scopes and described "slow" scopes with high f-ratios (f-8, f-9, f-10, etc), and fast scopes f-7, f-6, f-5, and less. This of course has a bearing on eyepiece choice.

What I forgot to mention is that faster scopes are less forgiving with poorer quality eypieces. So better figured eyepieces with good light cone correction and focusing becomes more desireable. The whole point of what I was trying to say really, but there you go - hence the need for more exotic lenses.

Anyway - please use this thread to ask any questions that are left outstanding from my talk, or if you didn't get chance to see me, and I'll answer them as best I can for you here. :)

Harrison Telescopes sell the Baader 2.25x barlow especially made for the 24-8 zoom, at £90, could not see one elsewhere at the moment?

Kim, feeling how heavy some of your zoom lenses were yesterday, do you think something like that would be too heavy for my little 127 Mak?

I should have asked to have a try with one whilst you were around but the evening flew by so quick!

Dan

I wouldnt worry about that so long as you can balance the scope up to avoid straining the mount by shifting it up the dovetail clamp.

I regulary fitted a 2" diagonal and Vixen 30mm 2" ep to the back of my 127 it looked daft but actually worked very well, as mentioned I also stuck binoviewers on teh back which are quite heavy all up. a quick rebalnce and all was OK

Phil

Hi Dan - come see me next observing meet and we'll experiment with the bigger ep's on your scope. As Phil says balancing shouldn't be an issue. Your Mak has a longish focal length and slow f-ratio so it's quite forgiving with lesser spec eyepieces. So you might not entirely need such heavy eyepieces anyway - should be easy to match up something manageable that gives good quality views :)