• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CCD cam sorted , after a lot of thought .

Guest billywhizzzzz

Guest billywhizzzzz

hi all .

well after a LOT of reading , and a lot of thinking I have decided on my new CCD cam , which Im hoping to pick up in the next two weeks ,

so ........ its the  Atik 314L Plus along with a 6.3 FR im hoping that these coupled with my C8 SCT will work a treat ,

im planning to use the cam for 95% DSO 's Nebula , galaxy's , clusters etc. etc. and the odd planet or two .

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the above combination  ?

views or opinion's / suggestions  are most welcome

regards steve

Guest billywhizzzzz

im really hoping so , all the pics I have seen look great , also seem quite easy to use ( so I have read )

steve

Guest billywhizzzzz

forgot to mention , im going for the mono cam ,don't think im gonna bother with the filter wheel ect , as im colour blind it don't really make any odds to me , plus I like the mono images , theres something a little bit spooky to me haha  .

steve

It's about the most popular ccd beginner camera - both new or used it's what folks seem to go for first when starting ccd imaging. :)

Atik 314 L -- best choice you could have made.

I love mine to bits. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Guest billywhizzzzz

thanks for that sort of put my mind at easy on my decision if you know what I mean , I had read on another site , today in fact were someone said that with the same set up as mine they could not get on with it as the focal length was too long ?

I would have thought having my 6.3 FR on the back wold have made it bang on , with out checking that would give me a focal length of about 1250 mm as appose to 2032 mm

but then to be fare you can read someone thinks its a great comb ha-ha . 

steve

you`ll need to use a guide scope setup at that focal length and make sure your colmination is as good as can be on your sct, i`ve had a little success with my sct and a meade dsi which has a smaller chip that the 314L, but using that combination it does fill the screen with the image so guiding even for shortish times is a good idea, alot of people go for apo scopes as they give you a bigger field of view and no or very very little colmination is needed so are easier to use.

I use mine regularly at f7 and 7.5 on dso imaging with no guiding problems, also at f15 for lunar and solar with absolutely no problems

i can do around a minute for unguided, any longer and i get star trails, but my polar aligning is`nt the best L.O.L.