• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 tripod broken

xanthic

I bought a secondhand HEQ5 a few months back. I haven't had time to use it what with one thing or another. Just decided to get it set up and noticed that one of the brackets for the legs has cracked.

2013-07-17%2021.16.03.jpg

Anyone got any ideas on how it could be fixed? Or am I looking at a new tripod?

I can 'lend' you a tripod if it has to go away, my HEQ5 is on a pier??

I picked up a s/h tripod a couple of weeks ago for £40 - so it's not gonna cost a lot to replace if you can't get it fixed. :)

I've never seen damage like that on a tripod you've got to wonder how that happened. But as said keep an eye out on ABS you'll get one cheaper than the cost of a repair :)

So many people have piers now, it might be worth testing the water and putting a wanted add on ABS if they are really going for £40. Just don't put "testing the water" in the ad, that always puts me off; it's either an advert or its not :)

I still feel sick for you. If my back is working tomorrow night i'll take you to the apple tree for eight pints of that awful, potent cider, what's it called, "hammered Rosie" or something? :)

Jd

If you do replace it - I'll take the broken one off your hands - just send me a pm and we can work out a deal or exchange or something. :)

They regularly break there, the casting is at its weakest and will break easily if dropped or banged in storage, overtightened or just break. My first heq5 tripod was like that when it came out the box, luckily i opened the box at the dealers so swapping was no problem.

Any repair will not really take very well and will be a weak spot. I dont know of anyone who will tackle ali casting welding. A sh tripod is the best way, as folks said they are around and cheap enough.

I think it might be a bad cast, there feels to be some porosity around the break (you can just see it in the pic). I've mailed FLO to see if they can sell a replacement bracket head for the tripod. If not, I'll try my luck on ABS.