• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturn July 16th

Guest dardano

Guest dardano

Hi,

I share with you my first attempt to catch saturn.

Taken at Prime Focus with my Nikon D300S

ISO800

1/500 sec

1069345_10201162112511406_1803118161_n.j

It's dim but we can see the planet. :)

Took a 2sec and 3sec long photos, but they were blurred.

Without guiding I should be able to get a 1/3 sec speed max, so when the skies are clear I will give a second try.

Next time I'll try longer speed and take an .AVI and stack the frames to see what I can get.

Bye

Fred

Yes, defo saturn, well captured.

You could crank the ISO up, and i'd try every exposure setting from the 1/500th you've got to a second or two.

The other thing you could try (and i have no idea if it will work) but take a video with your dslr and record saturn scooting across the field of view.

I suspect your video clip would be 5-30 seconds, i can't remember how quickly things move out of frame on he dslr sensor without any tracking.

Then you'd probably need to convert that video file from its dslr format into an avi on a computer, then run that avi file through registax, and see what you get.

Good luck.

James

Guest dardano

Yes, defo saturn, well captured.

You could crank the ISO up, and i'd try every exposure setting from the 1/500th you've got to a second or two.

The other thing you could try (and i have no idea if it will work) but take a video with your dslr and record saturn scooting across the field of view.

I suspect your video clip would be 5-30 seconds, i can't remember how quickly things move out of frame on he dslr sensor without any tracking.

Then you'd probably need to convert that video file from its dslr format into an avi on a computer, then run that avi file through registax, and see what you get.

Good luck.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your comment. I'll try every setup next time and let you know what I can get.

Fred