• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focal point

dawson

I've had a few pints so sorry if there are more typos than usual.

Is the focal point, actually a point? As in a point of light?

And, is prime focus at that point (and if so how does a point of light (if that is what it is)) fill the whole sensor o a camera? If not at the focal point (which may or may not be a point), is it the telescope side or the other side of this?

Thanks leigh for the drinks, but not for showing my ignorance once again :)

We both waves at saturn so should feature in the new cassini image of earth.

Night

The focal point is the point at which the telescope comes to focus (i.e. produces a clear and sharp image) - just like focusing a daytime camera so the picture's not blurred. The scale of the image on a camera sensor will depend on how much you magnify the focused image (e.g. using a 2x, 3x, 4x, etc barlow).

You can of course work out the correct combination of scope and camera to fill the camera sensor at the telescopes prime focus (i.e. without a barlow). :)

I've had a few pints sorry if there are more typos than usual.

Is the focal point, actually a point? As in a point of light?

And, is prime focus at that point (and if so how does a point of light (if that is what it is)) fill the whole sensor o a camera? If not at the focal point (which may or may not be a point), is it the telescope side or the other side of this?

Thanks leigh for the drinks, but not for showing my ignorance once again :)

We both waves at saturn so should feature in the new cassini image of earth.

Night

Sorry to wee wee on your bonfire but the cassini photo will be taken today!!! Im sure cassini waved back though ;-)

Guest Kheldar

Yes, focal point is a point :)

convergedivergelens.jpg

I'm not sure the EP/CCD sits at this point, I think it sits behind it?

Edited by Kheldar

So would that be the focal plane, as a point is of no use to a retina or sensor.

Edited by xanthic

Interesting.Thanks all. Yes I'd realised we got the Cassini thing wrong; Tibbz told me :(

Leigh, fancy sitting outside the pub again tonight to try to get in the picture :) I'm not sure Mrs Leigh will let you out again, she didn't look too happy when we rolled back to yours after hours. Oops.

Haha

JD

Guest Kheldar

Interesting.Thanks all. Yes I'd realised we got the Cassini thing wrong; Tibbz told me :(

Leigh, fancy sitting outside the pub again tonight to try to get in the picture :) I'm not sure Mrs Leigh will let you out again, she didn't look too happy when we rolled back to yours after hours. Oops.

Haha

JD

Anti social buggers, there's a meet on at Belper! :D

Mrs Leigh (Miranda) is one to talk, the time she has rolled in some nights!!!!!!!

(just to clear any confusion here I work with Miranda, nothing more!!!)

Haha

JD

Haha, you've forgotten that we got back to my house to find my car alarm going off. Was that last shandy one too many? ;)

I can walk to Leigh's in under 2 minutes; Belper is a bit more of a trek, and it's not even going to be dark! If we were mid August I'd be there for sure with some kit.

You won't miss me, you'll be up to your neck in wires anyway, and trouble shooting Sheila :)

JD

Many focal points make up the focal plane.

I think these diagrams show focal points, the focal plane and their positioning well...

geolens3.gif

epdesign.gif

I'm on my phone so can't see the images well. I've ordered a copy of opticks, but its only a paperback so no idea if i've ordered the correct version.

James

I've ordered a copy of opticks, but its only a paperback so no idea if i've ordered the correct version.

James

You fancied a bit of light reading then ;)

Just seen a 1704 original for sale online for nearly £42000.00!