• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky at Night's 3M dome Obsy

Teslar

Hi just wondering if anyone has or knows someone who built this based on the plans included in the 2009 November edition. It's close to what I'm thinking of building but I'm keen to know if there's any recommended changes to improve it or maybe add motors to the rotation or shutter

Any help or guidance appreciated :)

Edited by Teslar

Havent seen these plans but adding a motor to rotate it will be simple to do.

If you have a link to the plans I can soon draw you up a motor drive system for it.

Havent seen these plans but adding a motor to rotate it will be simple to do.

If you have a link to the plans I can soon draw you up a motor drive system for it.

Thanks Graham the plans don't seem to have much detail regarding the fitting of the dome and the roller arrangement I might have to wait until I attempt build or find someone who's built one to be sure :)

Is that your Obsy then pete?!

Yep. Designed it, built it, and the website, had a wonderful time using it for a few years, then sold it for 99 pence on fleabay  :rolleyes:  :lol: .

Hi Tom,

You might get some ideas here, but no motors...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.sullivan1/

Impressive build Pete I hope I can do as well as that. The plans for the dome has a very similar hardboard construction with fibreglass laminate. The print I have is too small to see the detail though as to how it's mounted to the roof. I do know the plan has no metal ring it relies on a sort of box section hardboard and I need to see the drawings in a bigger scale to understand how both halves come together Edited by Teslar

Cheers Tom.

It took some blood, sweat and tears to build, but worked brilliantly.

I used a 3m diameter steel ring made from 80mm x 80mm mild steel angle. It only cost £95 inclusive of material and bending. It provided a really rigid base on which to construct the dome.

The rest of the dome was all plywood, 18mm for the structure and 3mm bent to fit the structural members. 3mm ply is more difficult to bend than hardboard, but is more rigid and lasts much longer in outdoor situations.

I might be wrong about the hardboard it could be ply but I've left the CD and plans at home so can't check till Friday. :) I forgot to mention that it's also laminated with fibreglass so should be long lasting

I hope you were joking about selling it on eBay :D

Edited by Teslar

No Joke, I have photos of some Yorkshire guys cutting the dome in half for transportation in their van.

When they had gone, I realised that I had forgotten to ask for the 99p. :D

99P!! Agggghhhh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's worse than that. I forgot to ask for the 99p :D