• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How to fit the finder!

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

I bought (and fitted) a 2" Baader Steel Track Crayford to my SW ED 80 which is great except now i have nothing to fit my SW ED80 Finder Scope to.  I don't really want to get a new finder as the one that comes with the 80mm is great.

Can anyone offer a little advice?

Many thanks

Rick

Guest Kheldar

Sorry but you're going to have to drill the focuser to fit a finder shoe

or purchase a Telrad/Quikfinder

So you never tried fitting the shoe to the rings as I suggested on Your other thread :)

Edited by Teslar

If you can't fit a finder to the rings, you could cable tie a lightweight finder to the tube using heavyweight cable ties (or use extra strength sticky pads to fit a Telrad - lots of folks do that). :)

I had to drill and tap a crayford to accept a finder shoe on my 150 refractor. It requires a complete strip down of the focuser so you can ensure there is no swarf left in. Once you have a finder on a rotating focuser you will never want to use a fixed position finder again, it makes life far easier

Guest recceranger

Thanks all.  Sound advice but I think drilling into the rings and fitting a finder shoe is the best option.  Just wanted to float it around the houses!

Will sort this weekend.

Cheers guys

Rick