• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

what tripod for dslr?

Guest memento2me

Guest memento2me

hi there,

i decided to go for canon 600d. i think its a decent camera for me on a budget/ i've been looking for tripods on internet. what do you think of this one:

Manfrotto 055XPROB. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/50739/Show.html?clickid=1EnQMnWBW2rURyIxytRTdUoTUkWyDaVZnxDWxE0&irmpname=CK+Net+Ltd.&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cknet-cpa&utm_source=google-cknet

its about 140 quid for tripod plus head around 60 more. is it any good? or should i go for another one. i would like to photograph night sky, moon, sun, comets, constellations, open clusters plus do some nature photography as well as macro.

I'd fo somewhere where you can directly compare the feel (weight, rigidity) of the options. I got mine from jessops when they still existed and i love it, but ig's not te heaviest or most rigid as i wanted something light and easy to lugg around.

Guest memento2me

there used to be jessops shop in northampton but its gone for a while now. so i cant compare them unless i go 50 or so miles to nearest jessops shop. ive seen some tripods in second hand shop but i think you can get a new one for the same price on internet.

most monfrottos are decent tripods, but if you can go see them it would help

Sheila

I've just got out of bed and looked at mine, it's a "

Jessops Major Carbon Fibre Tripod"

The one you are proposing is above mine, so it's likely to be better (whatever better means in tripod terms). Mine is quite light, but that is one of the main factors I wanted.

Good luck.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the Horizon 8115. Very sturdy tripod. I use it with my big bins and it holds them very steady. As you would imagine though it is quite heavy so if you want something very light ten this is not for you but I love mine. FLO sell them here : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html