• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First computer

dawson

What was and when was your first 'computer'?

Mine was a BBC Model B circa 1983 (maybe for my 10th birthday).

It was just like this:

BBC Model B because the company I worked for made them :) in the run up to Christmas one year we had a 40ft trailer outside and we filled it up during the week and it was collected by a driver every Friday morning. How that trailer never got stolen was beyond me. It certainly would be nowadays. Needless to say security is much stricter now :)

Where were they made? What city?

Mine came from debenhams in nuneaton. Odd place to buy a computer i know!

Guest Fluke

It was probably 1984 or 85 and I was hoping for a Dragon 32 for christmas but my parents got me a Spectrum 48k rubber key job instead. Good call Mum & Dad!

Some sort of amstrad, still in the loft :lol:

I have an Amiga, still in the loft and with loads of boxed games.

My first computer after my abacus was a Sinclair ZX81 with a whole 1K of memory.

800px-Sinclair-ZX81.png

Edited by Perkil8r

bbc one for me, then the original compaq portable...... huge brick weighing bout 8 kgs :lol:

I remember paying £45 for an extra 4K of RAM for the Vic 20 !!

My first personally owned computer was a Texas Instruments TInnn - but I also had a lab full of 16 Amstrads, another lab full of 20 BBC computers, and a techi room with one or two each of everything else, Olivetti, IBM, etc pc's as well as several labs with big servers and networks Sun, Apollo, PDP8, PDP11, etc  :)

Where were they made? What city?

Mine came from debenhams in nuneaton. Odd place to buy a computer i know!

They were built in Kelso Scotland by a company called Keltek. We went on to make the Acorn also. Happy days of a boom industry :)

Atari 800XL, best day ever when my dad upgraded from a tape drive to a 5.5" floppy disk drive.

Atari 800XL, best day ever when my dad upgraded from a tape drive to a 5.5" floppy disk drive.

That was my 2nd one, followed by ST520

Guest Tweedledum

Put together nascom 1 in 1977 (!) though first proper pc was Apple IIe which cost £1300 in 1981 with a massive 48k and two floppies!.. Like Kim, had a room full of kit, and developers writing code for the early games industry.

Tom, went for an interview with Keltec in the mid 90's when they were implementing an erp system, don't know what happened to them since. Met a Tom, was it you???. Love kelso been back a few times, hate the cobbles!

Could well have been me :) we morphed into an American company called Plexus

Edited by Teslar

Spectrum 48k, then a Commodore 64. Oh how I loved loading stuff on cassette. Then a 386 laptop that BT lent me when I worked for a living. Then many years building a succession of PC's until finally saw the light and got a mac.

A Spectrum 48k. Now that taught you patience, god that cassette drive took for ever.

I tried to put in my own program once, I came close to becoming an alcoholic that night, nine hours later and it lost all data. Happy day's!

Lol we had one zx81 when I was at school. I never actually used a computer at school. I know im a dinosaur :rolleyes:

Guest endure

I started out with a ZX81. Finished up running a workshop for a distributor in Poole where we fixed everything from Atari STs thru Beebs and Amigas to Amstrads. Using soldering irons too! None of this board swapping nonsense.