• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guide Scope / Finder-Guider

Al.Grant

Hi,

I've been looking at options for guiding my Vixen VC200L on an HEQ5.  

Obviously I need to keep the HEQ5's weight limit in mind (suggested max in 11kg).

The scope ota weighs 6kg, then there is the weight of my DLSR etc. I'm thinking that a larger guide scope plus guide rings etc will push things close to the 11kg limit or maybe over it, so I've been looking at finder-guider options.

Could I make use of either my vixen 7x50 finder scope or my philips spc900nc to make a finder-guider, or would this just be too limited and I'd be better off with a better scope and/or camera combination?

I have seen finder-guider packages like this Orion one http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-magnificent-mini-autoguider-package.htm

and I know I can get the scope or camera on their own if any of my current equipment could be used.

I'm fairly new to imaging, so looking for an option suitable for getting me started at dso imaging with an unmodded dslr.  I'm also doing this on a fairly tight budget, at least until I get a bit of experience and can justify getting a better camera.

What I need is something not too heavy but able to get me started on guiding without too much trouble setting up and actually finding a suitable guide star (I know finder-guider options can be limited on the number of suitable stars)

So basically, taking weight and budget into account .... what's my best option!

Astrocookie gave a fantastic talk a little while ago about his hone made guider Made from spc 900 and finder scope. He said he could put a package together for about £80 if anyone was interested.

He's a nice guy, I'm sure he won't mind you PMing him. That's if he doesn't see this post anyway.

Good luck.

That sounds like exactly the sort of information I'm looking for.

Thanks    

That sounds like exactly the sort of information I'm looking for.

Thanks

Your welcome.

I can vouch for the finder guider SPC900 approach, used one for years on my 200P and ED80 with the HEQ5.