• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Laptop power source.

oldfruit

I realise that this may have been asked before but, what is the best way to power a laptop in the field when mains is unavailable?

Thanks,

Mark

I use a Netbook rather than a laptop, the battery life tends to be better I find. I get 6 hours out of my old Samsung NC10, long enough for most nights.

Otherwise I guess you are into dc to ac converters and batteries.

Guest Tweedledum

+1 for Noel, netty should provide ample grunt in the field whilst lasting a fair while on battery, this can be extended by choosing the minimum power profile. Else its a simple converter off a large Baz battery!

Guest Kheldar

As per above netbook will run most of the night

However I use a 110AH deep cycle battery with an off the shelf "car" power adaptor

Netbook with large battery upgrade here but have used conventional lappy with 12v adaptor and 17.5 a/h battery pack to good effect

Guest Kheldar

There's a power tank going cheap on flea bay. Saw it yesterday.

I would not recommend buying a power tank new (not value for money) let alone second hand (could have been maintained badly) unless you know the source has looked after it :)

Just my 2p!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I got a cheap 'Targus' 12v to 19-21v invertor from eBay.

It pulls about 3amps so no problem wired up to a 80Ah leisure battery.

Guest Ely Ellis

What about 3 x 6 volt lead acid batteries. The type used in kids sit-on toys.

Connect them in series to for an 18volt battery. Most laptops run with a 19volt input, so should run for a long time.

Of course a cheap inverter and single 12 volt battery would be less hassle, but this is just an alternative.

Cheers

Martin