• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescope help

Guest craigymuk

Guest craigymuk

Ho just been given a telescope because the guy upstairs don't use it I know it's a cheap one but it be ok for me to get use to the sky at night I want to how to check I have it setup right it's a refector telescope when I look down the eyepiece I can see the 2nd mirror and that should I be albe to see that the scope is tasco galaxsee like I say it's cheap but was free thanks

Post a picture, sounds exciting, a free telescope.

Looking down the eye hole (without an eye piece in) you should be able to see the secondary mirror which is suspended near the opening of the scope, and via the secondary mirror you should be able to see the primary mirror at the bottom of the tube. From there you should be able to see out of the big hole at the top at what ever you are looking at. Be careful in daylight not to point towards the sun (boring warning I know, sorry).

Reflectors need all the mirrors lining up (called collimation) and to check that you need a collimation daddy; Martyn!!!!!! :)

There are a few people your way who I am sure will be happy to help out.

Go on, lets see it.

James

Looks good; red dot finder too!

The view looks OK as far as I can tell, but you need to get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

James

Hi Craig, your not very far from me, drop me a pm if you still require help, then we can arrange something.