• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Beginner Book

I'm having more thoughts about writing a beginner book. I've approached publishers before but haven't had any takers but a small independent publisher could be interested. In any case, I would consider going "straight to Kindle" if I can't find a publisher.

My idea is to concentrate on observing and simple photography and not to go into discussions about the Big Bang.

What sort of things would you like to see in a beginner book that is not really covered in other books that you've read?

I would like to think about it, while I'm having yet another attempt to write a novel, and start late this year, early next.

I've been saying for ages EMS should write such a book.

The stuff is out there, but I don't think one book at present does it all.

Good luck with the project. Make sure it gets onto paper, I can't stand reading from anything other than a paper book, and turning pages and seeing it on my book shelf.

James

I've been saying for ages EMS should write such a book.

The stuff is out there, but I don't think one book at present does it all.

Good luck with the project. Make sure it gets onto paper, I can't stand reading from anything other than a paper book, and turning pages and seeing it on my book shelf.

James

Thanks for your encouragement.

I'm sure there is a market for a good practical guide.

I agree with James and think you should definitely do it on paper with a possible option for Kindle as well, not solely for Kindle. My experience with Kindle has not been good on factual books. Fiction is ok on Kindle for holidays etc. but all the factual books I have on Kindle have garbled formulae and diagrams and I'm sure you will want those in your book. Maybe they have improved this now, but I vowed a couple of years ago not to bother with any more factual books on kindle for that reason.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Phil,

It's a great idea, if you have not checked out 'making everty photon count' then it is worth dooing so. I would agree with Pete, that having a newly acquired Kindle,  complex formulae are difficult in that format. However a complete e-book or pdf version would be a different kettle of fish (!).

If you could complete via an electronic format then you could dsitribute from a very simple website, in doing so you have control over cost and profit. I would however pay to have a professional proof reader / editor go through the work. As part of my role I  used to moderate technical documents at a previous employer and that used to raise some howlers :D

Damian's idea of a website with "buy it now" buttons could be a good and profitable way to go. The convenience of that method could reach a wide audience and produce a good turnover, if marketed well and priced competitively.

I often pay for information in that way. A few times recently I have purchased electronic copies of old S&T magazines when I have found reference elsewhere to articles I want to read. The instant download is very convenient.

Having said the above I still think that especially for practical guides, a proper paper copy is much nicer to use. I would like to suggest that such a practical observing/AP guide would stand out from the crowd well in a slightly different format to most books. Maybe something like a spiral bound A5 format similar to the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas. This would be good so it can remain open for reference to leave your hands free whilst using it as a guide to say collimating or eyepiece cleaning etc. etc.

Just trying to throw some ideas into the pot Phil. :)

A great idea.

I use my kindle daily, but if the book is to have images/charts/formulae then the only way to go is printed copy - there is just no substitute!

Good idea, I like the website-buy solution! As long as it covers Collimation, I will be happy! :)