• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Periodic error correction

dawson

It doesnt james only tracking, but it helps to have it somewhere near pa. As i have said in a previous thread, when doing visual i just look through the polar scope and if polaris is somewhere in there its ok. I then do 3 star alignment with no probs on goto, the mount maps the sky even if pa is out a little

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Graham

• RonC

• philjay

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i just thought i was going mad as everyone was talking about polar alignment.

Thanks all.

James

James this may sound daft at first but bear with me.

Can you do an itemised list on your goto set up procedure.

I ask because if you correctly set up on the first star there is no way in this world that mount of yours should be that far out.

Edited by Graham

Agree with Graham, mine after a 2 star align or just a 1 if I'm staying in one place is spot on in an 18mm EP!

Ron

Not set up for over a month, but:

Level

Balance

Turn on

Date, time, location

Polar align

Star alignment

Alignment successful

James

It the first star alignment bit I am thinking off James.

You set it off to the first star.

After it gets to where it thinks it should be what do you do next.

Tweak the handset arrows to get the target star in the centre of the fov, and when centred click enter, and go for the next star.

Well often not in the fov.

The one thing i am going to check next time is that i lock the ra and dec, which stephen mentioned. But i think i do.

I might have a go again tomorrow if weather and back permits.

James

Yep loose clutches will do it but if they are tight :---

Someone jump in here and correct me if I have this wrong please.

If memory serves me correct your mount has duel encoders so you can unlock the clutches and move the scope and it still knows where its pointing ??

If this is correct is there any way you can sync the encoders after you have aligned the first star because it sounds like your encoders are telling the 'brain' two different stories.

It might even be that you have an encoder gone down.

Yes it has those encoders.

I need to try the whole process with two scopes again, as i'd convinced myself it was with the mak180 only. If that were the case, that would suggest the mount isn't the issue; it's either the scope or me.

I ALWAYS sync at least 2 extra stars after alignment, usually in the area I'm going to look at! Press 'ESC' twice and re ENTER  each one, works for me!

Ron, is pressing enter after that essential, i've never known. It flashes and then after some time stops flashing and then clears. If you don't press enter does it ignore what you've done?

I'm only talking here about PAE, i do press enter when star aligning.

Are the encoders on that optical ??

If they are it might be a simple as a bit of muck fouling the encoder.

I can't see on google (via my phone) what sort of encoders they are. I think its unlikely i'll set up tonight as i'm worn out.

I will report back.

James

Bit late on this thread but - 

Are you switching the handset to EQ mode (being an Az/Alt or EQ mount)?

That is a good question! It isn't out by absolute masses, as in points to the right part of the sky, which i'd be surprised it would do if i was making such a stoopid mistake......

I'll check. If it all goes quiet and never talk of this again you have your answer :)

James

Now now James we all want to know the reason if you find it.

Theres no hiding away  :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:  if its a simple operator error.

We have all made them and had to suffer the public humiliation of admitting our howlers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So man up and tell all if you get to the bottom of it. :2thumbsup:

James, I always press 'Enter' and re-enter the target again, it should not move! I do this on a regular basis and enjoy spot on Goto with the HEQ5!

Ron

Thanks Ron; i dream of that kind of goto!

Graham, i'll let you know..... Maybe :)

Jd

Just out of interest, when we (read I) used it that first night at WW (a night SWMBO will never let me forget :facepalm: ) it seemed to me to be pretty much spot on? Has that altered? If it's as good as it was on that night I don't see what you're worried about really? If it's long exposure unguided images you are after doing you need to do 2 things. 1st is don't expect to get very long before you get trailing appearing when using the Mak, it's a long focal length, this will show up lots of things, PE being one of them, but also such things as a passing gnat passing wind near it, the vibration caused by your clod hoppers etc. The second and very important thing you need to get right is polar alignment. No matter how much you get rid of the PE, if your PA isn't spot on you're going to get trails, especially at that focal length.

It's no where near as good as it was at WW that night, but that was with the 127 mak, not the 180 mak. That night everything was bang in the centre of the field of view with my then limited range of meade 4000 EPs. It just hasn't worked like that since, though i think i have never used the 127 mak on it since.

Jd

That TBH is likely to be your issue. GOTO is never usually exactly spot on to the nearest gnats, you're best off using a low mag first, get it in the FOV then centre it, swap to a higher mag and re-centre if needed. Personally I think you are expecting too much. It's a long focal length, it will make stuff seem further off than you think (location wise in the EP before any SA's comment)