• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky At Night article

stovesy

The Sky At Night this month has an article on binocular viewing around Cygnus.

My question is..

What objects are realistically visible from a West Bridgford location.

(I saw the amazing Coat-hanger, and I think I got the Dumbell? North American - not even a hint)

The last few clear summer evenings have been my first real sessions with my 9x60 bins, and I just want to get a handle on how much light pollution will affect things and what I can expect from the bins.

I really need to get to Wymeswold with them the next time folks are around.

Cheers

Pete

The Sky At Night this month has an article on binocular viewing around Cygnus.

My question is..

What objects are realistically visible from a West Bridgford location.

(I saw the amazing Coat-hanger, and I think I got the Dumbell? North American - not even a hint)

The last few clear summer evenings have been my first real sessions with my 9x60 bins, and I just want to get a handle on how much light pollution will affect things and what I can expect from the bins.

I really need to get to Wymeswold with them the next time folks are around.

Cheers

Pete

there is a meet at wymeswold this saturday :)

Sheila

Pete

I don't ever use bins at home (Compton Acres) so I've no idea, but I guess you'd be able to see a fair few of the bigger / brighter of the DSOs, and plenty of doubles and clusters.

Did you get your polar scope sorted out?

Yes, looks like people are going to Wymeswold this Saturday.

James

Hi Pete,

I have a copy of S&N and I was out last night till about 1am with my 10x50 binoculars on my backyard in Mansfield, which although light polluted, I suspect may be a little better than West Bridgeford.

After a good 30 minutes of dark adaptation I could just see the Milky Way through Cygnus and could vaguely make out the Northern Coalsack with the naked eye. I think you'd struggle from your location. I tried hard to see the North American and Veil nebulae and spent some time trying averted vison and using various 2" filters both naked eye and with the bins with no luck, I always have a go but they really do need a very dark sky. Get yourself comfortable and steady in a reclining chair which will help you see more. I was tired last night and got so comfortable in the warmth that I almost nodded off in the chair under the stars :lol:

Albireo should look good and split nicely, and as you say the Coathanger is always lovely and the Dumbbell faint but not too difficult. M29 is small but easily visible.

I'm surprised that the article did not mention M39 which is just slightly to the left and off the S&T binocular map but you can find it on the page before.You should get a great view of M39. Not far from that is the Garnet star, Mu Cephei which easily shows it lovely colour.

Have a look not far from Cygnus on your star map and try for M11 the Wild Duck Cluster, NGC6633, IC4756 and IC4665, they are all good for binoculars. You will of course see all these things far better and more easily from a dark site. Good luck.

Thanks all,

I think the answer is to get to Wymeswold with my sun/moon lounger, I think the glow of the street lights is too much at home.

I've seen M29 and M39 a few times but if the Milky Way is too clear, it is difficult to see them against the background. I've "seen" M27 and M57 in 15x70 bins but they only look good in my 5" telescope. Albireo should split easily in 15x70 bins. Also try Epsilon and Delta Lyrae and Nu and 16/17 Draconi. I have seen NGC 7000 a few times.

My normal observing site is typical suburban with a limiting magnitude (naked eye) of around 4.5, exceptionally 5.