• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ports 'n' Hubs 'n' Cables 'n' stuff!

Al.Grant

Hi,

Yesterday I got an Altair 60mm mini guider and added that to the mount (not actually done any guiding yet) and now I'm looking at getting everything connected and working the way it should.

I think I've got an idea how best to connect it all up, but want to check a couple of points first to make sure I've got it all clear in my head (there are precious few 'clear' things in there at the moment!   :blink:  ).

I'm looking to connect up the following:

Astroplanner or Stellarium/CDC (Laptop)   <--usb-->  HEQ5 (via handset pc control) 

Canon DLSR (imaging)   <---usb--->  Laptop (BackyardEOS)

Philips spc9000nc webcam  <--usb-->  Laptop (guiding/PHD) 

Clearly I could run 3 usb cables to the laptop, but not totally practical if I'm looking to remote things indoors.  

I have EQMOD/ASCOM installed and have had each of these connected and working, although not all at the same time and not via a hub, the webcam was imaging not guiding.

I am looking at getting a 20m active usb cable move things undercover and also at getting a suitable usb hub. 

I'm assuming I can use a usb hub at the mount so I'm only running 1 cable from the scope to the laptop and that everything will be able to communicate along this single cable without any major issues (data flow etc).  Lots of people have them so I'm guessing it should all work.   

But are there any issues I need to be aware of ?

Will it all work smoothly down a single cable & hub ?

Is there a particular type of hub that I should use (or avoid)  ?

Is there anything that needs setting differently on laptop COM ports when running multiple things via a hub  ?

Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb question, I'm sure it will all make sense once I've had it all connected and everything talking as it should.

Al

I dont know the answer to your questions I will leave that to them that know. :)

I run all my gear on indipendant active cables.

Ok I have an obs so they are no problem as they never have to be moved.

I decided on this because I have read of so many people having problems.

It does mean if some thing doesn't work I only have that system to check.

It also means that if a cable does go down I can bypass it and continue with my session, if a hub goes down you are stuffed.

Well thats my view on it for what its worth. ;):)

I have one active USB cable to a 7 port hub at the mount. Then I plug my QHY5 guide camera and  Atik 314L imager into the hub. I then have a USB-232 adaptor connecting from the mount hand controller to the hub for mount PC control.

I power the hub at the mount using a 12Vdc to 5Vdc 3A converter as the cameras can pull a fair current.

It all works perfectly.

I'm with Graham on this. I hear of so many issues with hubs I would rather not get into them. I use Active cables and thus far no issues.

Guest Tweedledum

There should be no issues in using hubs so long as in the loop there is  a properly powered hub and an active cable. Noel has it Covered.

My biggest issue is one of failure. If the hub fails you lose the lot, if an active cable gives out then only that piece of equipment goes down so you can probably carry on with another cable. It's also easier to see what has caused the issue. If say a camera went pop and took the hub with it, it could take a bit of working out to find which piece of equipment has caused the issue. If something goes down with seperate cables it's either the port, cable or equipment, it's a 2 minute job to sus which one it is.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm getting the feeling it's going to be a case of finding a balance that works for me with the mount outside and me sat in the conservatory with a coffee!

I don't think there'll be much of a difference in costs:  2 extra active usb cables vs a powered usb hub, a bit of a difference but not a bank breaker!

3x 20m active usb cables (could probably use 10m) will take up all my laptop usb ports but won't require a power source at the mount.  

The hub makes things tidier, but I suspect any problems could be harder to trace without impacting everything in the line and requires more power at the mount.

Has anybody had any issues with communications down a single usb cable when the camera is transferring an image and the guide camera/phd is trying to do it's job ?

i use hitec astro hub... had some issues, but mostly solvable or my fault :blush: and is safe for equipment.  power, dew heater and USB all into one box,

failure of hub just means you plug all the cables into laptop and power into battery.  i find it tidier and less chance of cable snags.

Each to their own i guess.

either way works

Sheila

The one time I attempted imaging - under "Gliudance" lol - I had a single active usb 10m cable with a 4-port hub at the mount end (unpowered). We had a Meade DSI and a 1000D plugged into it as well as the mount. I've also had it working with mount, 1000D, and SPC900NC LE plugged into the hub (two cables off the SPC one for data and one for camera control). All hooked up to APT, Stellarium, and video capture software all connected via Ascom. No issues in either config.

One thing though - get the hub from Astronomiser - they guaranteed compatibility with with other astro software, mounts, and cameras. :)

Thanks all.

Decided to try the hub route for starters.

Hub from astronomiser and 20m active users cable ordered.

If that proves problematic then I'll get extra cables.

i use a 4 port usb 2 powered hub and a 5 meter active cable, i plug the mount, cameras and so on into the powered hub and a 5 meter active cable to the desktop pc which runs Stellarium, eqmod, and an imaging program and i`ve had no issues so far. i`ve also used the remote pc option on windows xp via wireless wifi which takes a second to act but does work fairly well. will be doing more of this if the weather gets too cold.

Thanks for the input on this ....

Everything worked first time (Astroplanner/PHD/BYE) using a 4 port, powered hub (Astronomiser) and an 20m active usb cable.

Had a couple of runs with no issues, although I still need a bit more work with PHD.

I suppose the next step is to actually do some imaging!

Great stuff, ive used 10m active usb lead with powered 5 port usb2 hub in my obs for a few years now and prior to that a usb1 hub, never any problems with the gear, just me