• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

what filters for dslr?

Guest memento2me

Guest memento2me

i just bought a dslr. i've ordered a few accessories for it. what about filters?do i need any filters for it. i mean for daylight pictures, twilight, noctilucent clouds, daylight moon etc.

thanks

What dslr have you got (just out of interest), and what lenses?

Someone clever will be along to advise on filters. I've just got a light pollution eos clip for mine (canon) but i've not really tested it yet as not had dark enough skys; i'm mostly interested to use that for wide field photography, so imaging without a telescope.

James

Guest memento2me

ive got canon 600d. just read about filters. looks like uv and polarising filters is all you need for daytime photography.

if your going to use it for long exposure astro imaging and you have a fair bit of yellow street lighting in your area then an astronomik cls filter might be a nice choice. it cuts out the light from these horriable street lighting

I've got the 600d too. I've got the CLS EOS clip Rob mentions. I've just not tested it yet with my widefield properly, though my initial tests shows it cuts out lots o star light (so exposure times need to go up (either ISO, exposure time or f/ stop (or all))) and it changes the focus quite a lot, so instead of setting my lens onto infinity, I have to set it to somewhere midpoint along the focus. This is something you'd want to play with in the day time though.

James

I also suggest getting a few U/V filters. One for each of you lenses. They're not expensive and don't do a great deal to your images, but they do protect your lens glass.

Yes, bog standard UV filters are useful as Pete says. larely because they are much less expensive that a replacement lens and generally take all the flack of dust and cleaning and the like rather than the lens itself. Plenty of people have accidently cracked the UV lens or scratched it badly when putting the camera down on rocks or the like, and they are relatively inexpensive to replace. The bigger the opening of the lens the more expensive they are; my wide angle lens is 72mm (I think) and that UV filter wasn't cheap, but I'd rather pay that than run the risk of damaging the lens itself.

James