• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M33 from a night you only dream of. 04.08.2103

Graham

As the title says a night that will live in my memories for a long time.

Crystal clear dark skies all night with the seeing at a level I cannot ever recall having from this location.

It was so calm and clear I could even see the Milky way stretching across the sky.

I spent the whole night in my own private planetarium.

Stretched out on the garden swing I just lay there staring up in amazement at the the greatest show  on Earth.

I watched as the constellations rose above my house in the East and made their never ending journey across the sky.

I was treated to several meteors streaking through, nothing too spectacular but an awesome sight to behold none the less.

It was only the fact that I noticed the display had got fainter that I realised I had been laying there watching all night and dawn was breaking.

It was at that point I thought it might well be a good idea to see what the rig was up to.

I wandered back into the obs to find another rare occasion had taken place.

The rig had performed all night without a glitch.

So here is the result from a memorable night. I only wish my processing skills could do it justice.

GT 81

Atik 314 L

26 subs at 600 seconds.

No Flats or Bias subs.

Stacked in Maxim.

Processed in PS6.

M33-2-04.08.2013.jpg

Edited by Graham

Read this out to the wife from my iPhone, she was very impressed, (with the photo too!!) Nice one Graham!! :)

Many thanks folks.

It was an incredible night that has left an indelible imprint on my mind.  :)  :)  :) 

I know what you mean about an imprint.

When I saw M33 through a 16" dob at a dark site I almost wet myself with excitement.

Lovely photo Graham as well.

it`s those kind of night Graham that keep us going, shame there few and far between.

bonus of a great image also.

Nice poetic picture there and taken 90 years into the future . :)

I wouldn't put it past Graham to have built himself a time machine :) .

That was just wonderful to read Graham, I'm very envious and the image is fabulous.

I know what you mean about an imprint.

When I saw M33 through a 16" dob at a dark site I almost wet myself with excitement.

Lovely photo Graham as well.

Thanks Mick. A look through a 16 inch scope is a pleasure I have yet to have.

One day.

it`s those kind of night Graham that keep us going, shame there few and far between.

bonus of a great image also.

Rob that is so true, first time in over 2 years I have had a night like that from my obs.

Nice poetic picture there and taken 90 years into the future . :)

Richard, I was told this GT81 was a powerful scope and that just goes to prove it. If only I could focus it on next weeks lottery numbers.

I wouldn't put it past Graham to have built himself a time machine :) .

That was just wonderful to read Graham, I'm very envious and the image is fabulous.

Thanks Peter, I wish I had the literary skills to put into words what it was truly like. 

Nice one Graham :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike.