• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finder Guider Mk11

philjay

I decided to give the finder guider idea another airing, this time doing it properly using some redundant bits from my scope bit box, my old Meade 127 finder bracket, an old Meade 50mm finder + BC&F body conversion and a barlow body. All fitted together well without machining and fits on the tube ring for the WO FLT98 easily.

I tested the FG in the daylight with the QHY5 guide cam and focus can be reached on distant trees, I just need some stars now to fine adjust focus and prove guiding.

If this works this will considerably reduce the weight on the scope and I should be able to use the HEQ5 for imaging with the FLT. I assembled it all and made a few leads and adapters up and using my observatory hub I have the technology, just need the skies and patience to get it going.

I know I always said I don't do imaging at starparties but if all goes well I may take the kit along to EMS and/or Kelling to give it a go.

I know this... there's an awful lot of wires on there. Lots to go wrong in a dark field :D 

The proof of the pudding, managed a few subs between clouds last night with the rig on my observatory mount and Im pleased with the performance, the star images are a little haloed when in focus in the finder guider but I am sure this is down to the average quality of the finder objective but they were sharp enough to lock on with PHD.

Anyone else have slightly fuzzy stars in their finder guider by any chance?

Here's about 5 minutes that I managed to grab between murky stuff, I managed a couple of 6 and then a 10 minute subs later to test and it showed my guiding settings need nailing a bit more as stars were very slightly oval so a few lessons in PHD setup are called for. My PA is absolutely spot on, because when I do a PA routine with the CCD in place and the centre reticule, polaris is bang on the reticule, so oval stars has got to be my settings. Still another night may sort it. 

there is a theory that it guides better on a slightly defocused star, so I don't overly worry about the guide star being that pin point.

I am using phd at the moment as I'm using the qhy5 and it does not play well with maxim

I have taken time and drift aligned the mount

I have reduced the aggressiveness settings in phd to 12 in RA and 10 in Dec

Steve

Edited by Ibbo