• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Looking for a new scope

Guest Stargazing Girl

Guest Stargazing Girl

After purchasing an Celestron Astromaster 114EQ reflector telescope from Amazon and having to have it replaced I have given up on it have returned it back to Amazon. It leaves me with a dilemma. I want to purchase another scope but am not sure what to get. I would like an all-purpose telescope and am looking to spend between £200 to £300. I am looking for something that is easier to set up than the Celestron.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Donna

You can do a lot worse than that scope. It will do a great job on a wide range of targets :thumbsup:

I can recommend something like this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

It was my first scope and it lasted me two years before I felt the need to upgrade - smashing starter scope with reasonable aperture to get you going. If you were to look at the second hand market you may well get one for under £200. Alternatively - if you were only going to use it for observing (ie no astro imaging), then this would give you a larger aperture and quicker, more intuitive, and easier to use (but it's bigger).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Both great starter scopes just with different mounts. Hth :)

I think the 200p Dob is a hard scope to beat for the money. A few mods, which are well within the range of most people, will make it a scope which will get a good thrashing every clear night.

Don't forget to get out to a few meets, or come along to EMS2 if you can. Even if you don't have a scope, you are very welcome to use mine and get an idea of what might suit you.

Hi Donna, glad you got rid of that scope, it was a PITA scope! (Pardon my French!)

I sold my 6"RC that I used to take to Gib Point meetings and bought a Dob, no regrets!!

You are welcome to come round and see it or if you are going to the meeting on Saturday at Badger Farm, I will be there!

Glad your not giving it up!!

Cheers

Ron

+1 for the 200P Dobsonian. That's what I started with. I still have the OTA just on a EQ mount now. It a starter scope that gives great views its hard to beat for ease of use and affordability. Get a lazy Susan bearing and a setting circle/angle gauge on it and you're sorted. Marty/Daz will help you with all the mods, they have the know how :)

here`s a couple of very good priced scopes both covered by a 12 month warranty.

http://telescopeoutlet.co.uk/index.php/telescopes/sky-watcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian-telescope.html

or a 10 inch version,

http://telescopeoutlet.co.uk/index.php/telescopes/sky-watcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian-telescope.html

these are nice scopes to use and easy to set up, but if your ever thinking of getting into astro imaging you will need to get an eq mount one day.

Hi Donna.

Like Martyn mentioned above, we have our yearly main EMS star party next month (5th - 8th September), if you want to come and have a look at the vast array of telescopes etc then you will be more than welcome, I always advise to try before you buy, Sleaford to Anderby Creek is approx an hours drive, so you could come over on the Saturday for a look see, even better, book a spot, there are plenty left.

My heavily modded 200P will be there so you can see what sort of things you can do and also have a look through them if you are still around when it gets dark.

Fingers crossed you find something you like, and any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Guest devil74

Hi Donna

I started a few months ago and initially Baz (martyn) set up a meet round his for a few newbies. He had his 12" dob and Daz had his 8" there too. I have to say that night gave me so much insight into what i wanted/didn't want. I was sold on a Dob after that night and eventually found a 10" on abs for £300. These guys gave me pointers all the way with the Dob purchase and the buys and mods since. Dont know what i would have done without them tbh. But what i can say is, however much i've spent so far, its worth every penny.

I am a total novice compared to these lot but the things I have seen in a few short months are amazing..mind blowing. Never forget my first Saturn and M13.

Anyway just get out there before you buy and see whats on offer, be great to see you at some meets.

Damian

Guest Stargazing Girl

Thank you everyone for your replies. I booked for starparty weeks ago but I was having second thoughts in the last few days about attending due to the lack of equipment. However, I really appreciate all your offers to "try before you buy" and will be coming along to Anderby to get a better idea of what scope would be best suited to me. I did pick up a Skywatcher brochure whilst on holiday so I can have a look at your recommendations.

Many thanks

Donna

Hi Donna, I remember seeing you a couple of times at Gib Point and the troubles you were having with your scope. Thankfully you have been able to return it. If you wish to join us at our next meeting I`m sure between us we can put you on the right track towards getting a scope to better suit your needs.

Iam really pleased you are coming to EMS2.  I think with your budget you will be well in the market for a very usable scope.

You are always welcome for a brew and a natter at Che Barry.