• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Any fellow NHS workers having problem with the forum?

Guest MrsR

At home I can view the forum perfectly but at work (NHS hospital) the forum is very very slow and sentances are broken up very badly - makes it a nightmare to read - anyone else have this problem? All other forums work fine.

The only issue I have is with certain pictures posted on here and the facebook app, both of which are caused by my works firewall settings rather than the forum.

Craig tells me this forum is running the latest HTML/ Web versions so it is more than likely the NHS web servers and firewalls blocking certain content.

Still rather annoying though.......... :angry:

At a guess it's probably that at work you'll have probably IE7 or less and that will also cause it to run slowly because it's rubbish at processing the page.

I work at an NHS hospital but I use tapatalk to access the forum from my iPhone. I think if anyone in my office saw me on EMS it might be frowned upon! ;)

Guest Tweedledum

MMM watch out folk, your network chaps will be monitoring your traffic. I would be careful re any Internet Usage policy you may have signed or be automatically signed for....

I would hazard a guess that the NHS will be on the minimum browser version possible (IE6 for Windows XP or IE8 for Windows 7/Vista). Large organisations rarely upgrade their browsers unless there is a benefit to doing so. In either case, that's most likely the problem. This forum is pretty cutting edge in terms of the technologies in use, so older browsers just die on their feet.

Damian is right though, beware of any IT Acceptable Use policies that may be in force. if in doubt, be cautious and stick to your mobile.

TapaTalk is superb for this purpose, it'll load fast as there's no html to load. :)

I got told off last year for being the second highest "none business" internet user in the company lol. I used to leave a certain "for sale" section on my browser all day so I could check every 5 mins and be quick for bargains.

Now I only look at lunch time and I'm back in favour hehe. But our firewalls, monitoring, poor bandwidth, and generally slow servers, are a real pain - even on company systems the screen sometimes screws up never mind t'internet. Beware though - you can get fired for following forums at work - I'd hate to see that happen to any of you :)

I only look at forums on breaks. Use the net for research though a lot but all medical - wouldn't be able to say astronomy was to benefit a patient lol

Guest Tweedledum

sorry to be the bad guy, but , your forum use will tie up precious bandwidth. regular use of the IP address will be monitored, the first clue that this has happened will be that the web address will be blocked accross the firewalls.

Second will be your warning letter!, as Kim say's don't let it happen to you.

Cheers..

(ps Yes I have sacked persons for internet abuse!)