• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

hi from me lee

Guest betteridge7684

Guest betteridge7684

hi new to stargazing just brought a telescope and would love to start using it ,is there anything going on around ilkeston area to night 11 august to see the metor show .lee

Hi lee. Welcome to EMS. I'm not aware of anything in that area. Your best bet would be just to sit somewhere (garden preferably) north facing and look towards Cassiopeia. (the big W in the sky) the later in the night the betters it will be higher in the sky.

What scope did you get?

Regards.

Toby.

Hope for clear skies too or you'll not see diddly squat.

Guest betteridge7684

Hi lee. Welcome to EMS. I'm not aware of anything in that area. Your best bet would be just to sit somewhere (garden preferably) north facing and look towards Cassiopeia. (the big W in the sky) the later in the night the betters it will be higher in the sky.

What scope did you get?

Regards.

Toby.

Hope for clear skies too or you'll not see diddly squat.

hi toby i have a celstron 130eq,and just got a skywatcher 127 az goto mak i aiso have use of a feild so will try and watch from there

Hi lee and welcome

I've got the 127 mak, it's lovely. I have since got the 180 mak.

James

Hi Lee, welcome along, I'm in Ilkeston and so are another few on here. Did you have any luck last night. If its clear to night I might go down to mapperley res back of west Hallam. Part of Shipley park, not the darkest but not bad. Give a shout on this thread as you won't be able to PM yet.

I'm also a member of Ilkeston and district astronomical society who meet locally but don't do much group observing more talks, social and bring and show type meetings. That's why I'm also a dark site member on here, the ems are much more friendly group and the dark site meets are always good fun, and the cakes are fantastic

http://www.idas-astro.com/

Andy.

Guest i-am-kloot

Hello Lee, welcome to the EMS.....try to get over to a dark site meeting at some point.....as Andy said, they are great fun!

Mick.

Guest betteridge7684

Hi Lee, welcome along, I'm in Ilkeston and so are another few on here. Did you have any luck last night. If its clear to night I might go down to mapperley res back of west Hallam. Part of Shipley park, not the darkest but not bad. Give a shout on this thread as you won't be able to PM yet.

I'm also a member of Ilkeston and district astronomical society who meet locally but don't do much group observing more talks, social and bring and show type meetings. That's why I'm also a dark site member on here, the ems are much more friendly group and the dark site meets are always good fun, and the cakes are fantastic

http://www.idas-astro.com/

Andy.

hi andy did get out last night had good views of the metors and managed to find ring nebular some how ,strugglerling to do 2 star alignment right too many stars to pick right ones,as farr as the idas i did try to come to the last meeting at shipley with a view to joining but was put off as nobody turned up!.will try and come to the next meeting at the dark site if i can find it .if i can get would like to come tonight maybe you could show me the ropes.lee

Guest betteridge7684

Hello Lee, welcome to the EMS.....try to get over to a dark site meeting at some point.....as Andy said, they are great fun!

Mick.

hi mick thankyou i am going to see if i can make it too the next meeting at the dark site ,keen to get into stargazing.lee

Just to clarify for you folks - EMS doesn't have a dark site at Shipley. We have two official dark sites - one at Belper and the other at Wymeswold, where people do turn up whenever a meeting is arranged. Watch the "EMS Meets" sections for arranged meetings.

Sometimes members arrange their own meeting at various different locations when there isn't an EMS arranged meeting. So please don't feel deterred from joining if you attend one of those "personal meetings" and no one turns up. There will always be someone at an EMS arranged meeting. :)

hi andy did get out last night had good views of the metors and managed to find ring nebular some how ,strugglerling to do 2 star alignment right too many stars to pick right ones,as farr as the idas i did try to come to the last meeting at shipley with a view to joining but was put off as nobody turned up!.will try and come to the next meeting at the dark site if i can find it .if i can get would like to come tonight maybe you could show me the ropes.lee

IDAS is not connected with EMS as kim has pointed, just so were all clear. Ems wymeswold and belper darksite.

Last Shipley park IDAS meet no key holders turn up!!!! First time in two years!!!! We have our museum meet this eve which tends to be talks, and Shipley meet on last wednesday of the month. which would be the best time to bring anything scope wise.

Ems meets happen most weekends just keep a look out the events board. I'll happily help you as much as I can but I don't use goto at moment but I can tell you which stars are which.

75 meteors last night+ milkyway and M32, jupiter and mars ISS all naked eye. Didn't think it was possible to see M32 from my garden but conditions were perfect.

Sorry lee, not out tonight matey, was thinking of going mapperley res (not a dark site, just somewhere local I sometimes go to) last night!!

Got IDAS formal meet tonight at erewash museum. Info on their website if your interested. Not going to mention them again because I don't want to confuse people ;-)

If its clear this weekend I'm sure someone will start a thread for an EMS dark site meet. Get yourself to one of them with your kit and you will have a great kick start into the "outer" world of astronomy.

Edited by tuckstar

Guest betteridge7684

Sorry lee, not out tonight matey, was thinking of going mapperley res (not a dark site, just somewhere local I sometimes go to) last night!!

Got IDAS formal meet tonight at erewash museum. Info on their website if your interested. Not going to mention them again because I don't want to confuse people ;-)

If its clear this weekend I'm sure someone will start a thread for an EMS dark site meet. Get yourself to one of them with your kit and you will have a great kick start into the "outer" world of astronomy.

ok thankyou,will keep an eye out