• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dave's knobs: better secondary adjustment bolts on the cheap.

DaveJW

A little while ago I was looking to improve the 3 secondary adjusting bolts on my 300p. You would think that finding a M4 thumbscrew via the internet would be easy enough, but without paying Bob's prices it was harder than I thought. So I bought a few different bits to play with, stainless steel bolts, wing nuts, locking nuts (mostly ebay I think) and some of these, nylon thumbscrews sold by an aero-modeller (from Kimberley apparently, but I don't know him) :- http://www.modelfixi...ylon_screws.htm

Thumbscrew-smalla.jpg

The nylon thumscrews were lovely and would be perfect if they were steel - small neat heads with sharp knurling, but I guessed they would be too bendy for this job and so it proved. A steel bolt with a wing nut added and a lock nut to hold it worked but they were very heavy (and shiny), not a very elegant solution.

Then I had the idea of cutting off the nice neat head from the nylon thumbscrew, heating the steel bolt and then pressing it into the back of the nylon head. I chopped of a nylon head (easy with a Stanley knife), put in on a board & held the bolt in the flame of the gas hob using radio pliers. The first time I tried it I got the bolt far too hot, resulting in liquid nylon & a small fire.

Health & Safety warning: Fire is hot, hot things can burn you and liquid nylon in the eyes probably stings a bit.

Subsequent attempts refined the process. I found that as soon as the head of the bolt starts to discolour then it's hot enough to melt the nylon perfectly: I just pressed the bolt in place & held it for a while until the nylon set. The knobs seem to be very well bonded to the bolt heads. Once the bolts had cooled I used a permanent marker to colour the heads black.

DSCF1598b.jpg

Thumbscrews in place, they could do with a bit trimming off the length some time.

DSCF1600b.jpg

Another idea I've had that I've not tried is a steel bolt with a nylon wingnut, which could be glued into place. Even better perhaps, I've since spotted these, push on thumbscrew caps that fit into a hex socket head bolt, sold by RS components:- http://uk.rs-online....=PSF_119407|cav

R771651-51.jpg

That would be easy! :)

That's neat Dave, next time Iam in RS, I'll have a look at those and if they look ok, I'll get some so we can have a look and see if they would do the job.

If I remember correctly, we would a M4 x 35mm set screw, pref stainless

That's neat Dave, next time Iam in RS, I'll have a look at those and if they look ok, I'll get some so we can have a look and see if they would do the job.

If I remember correctly, we would a M4 x 35mm set screw, pref stainless

Yes that's right Martyn.

I'll keep my eye open, maybe we could get a bulk order together for all Sky-watcher owners, it would work out cheaper that way.

I'll keep my eye open, maybe we could get a bulk order together for all Sky-watcher owners, it would work out cheaper that way.

Good idea!

Lovely job. I did a similiar thing myself using steel M4 bolts, the knurled sections from some old 1/4" metal jack plug cases and araldite.