• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Monday 12th August.

Daz Type-R

This will be short and sweet due to me being on my IPhone, in the middle of a field and I'm cold.

Currently stopping just outside Horn Castle and been out in the field with the mother in law in tow, so first off we waited for the first pass of the ISS, as ever, never failed to impress, then as the sky got darker we settled in for the early meteors. While waiting for them, the first stars appeared, Vega, Altair then the Plough and Cassiopeia became visible.

Slowly at first we watched as meteors started darting overhead, then as it got darker, the amount of stars that became visible was breath taking, I showed the mother in law Cygnus, the great square of Pegasus, Andromeda, the asterism the Plough and then the river of light that shone over head, the Milky Way!

In the meantime the meteors we saw, some small, some big and bright and at one point we were treated to about 4 in 5 seconds, it was great.

Another pass at 23:00 hrs of the ISS again then 20 minutes later called it quits.

Early start, SWMBO birthday the next day and the fact I left the tent door open resulted in me deciding enough was enough, and I'm currently writing this from my blow up bed!

Awesome night, just wish I had my scope.

Your not far away from the ELAC dark site at Badger Farm then? dark init!! :)

Cheers

Ron