• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ISS into earth shadow 13/08/13

philjay

It was a nice pass last night and had to give it a go with the Canon 1000d

ISO1600 about 30 seconds at 28mm, looking east towards the Derby light dome. 

That is lovely. It's lovely anyway, but knowing it's the ISS makes it more lovely.

Widefield stuff is so nice.

James

Ta James, yep I must try more widefield. I keep seeing the great shots you guys have been doing and I thought I would have a tentative bash last night. I took a load of Cygnus subs as well but left the exposure too long so I had trails, I was using a static tripod. Still one day I may slap a camera on the eq mount and try that

Nice one Phil. I too tried widefield for the first time the other night. I left my exposure too long too for a static tripod. I must get the dovetail fitted to the camera and bung it on the EQ5 soon.

Peter Shah's latest work is just so inspiring, and really makes me want to expierment more. I don't have the kit he has, but I could do more than I do at present.

James

Nice. Was that the 22:12 pass? I watched that one with my son, plus followed it on the ISS spotter app. It always seems so sedate, passing over. Until you realise that its about 300 miles west of Ireland when it rises and fades out over Prague.

Guest devil74

Nice. Was that the 22:12 pass? I watched that one with my son, plus followed it on the ISS spotter app. It always seems so sedate, passing over. Until you realise that its about 300 miles west of Ireland when it rises and fades out over Prague.

Yeah i watched a pass on monday night...was a relatively long one for, about 6mins plus. 

As i watched i had the tracker in my hand and as you say it was quite a way off Ireland when it became visible, but what really surprised was where it was when it finally went out of view (just before the horizon), it had just crossed the Polish border into Ukraine (passing near Lviv).

I have just looked this up and that's around the 1000 miles mark. Quite pleasingly the app i use (ISS detector) puts a 'visible' ring around your location and this was bang on.

Yep it was the 22:12. I didn't realise it was coming over, I have an app but never look at it, I was just outside messing with the DSLR for widefield when the opportunity arose.

It's nice to see, reminds me of the 70s when I were a lad and we used to get Echo coming over. The big silver coated balloon that was placed in orbit  for bouncing radio transmissions off, that was much dimmer and a bit slower but still nice to watch.