• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello everybody

Guest Joe130

Guest Joe130

Just got into star gazing, bought a celestron 130slt, anyone based in the scraptoft area that knows of local places out of the city to stargaze?

Thanks, Joe

Welcome joe. My hair dresser used to live in scraptoft (circa 2000) but i've since moved around the country several time and lost all my hair :)

I'm sure if you travel east a bit on the uppingham road you'll notice the light pollution gets less.

Hopefully see you at a meeting sometime.

James

Hi Joe, welcome to EMS, I'm quite a long way from you in mid-Lincolnshire! Enjoy the forum  :)

Hi Joe, welcome to EMS.

Not from around your way but we do have 2 dark sites, one is at Wymeswold which is on the Leicester / Nottingham border, not sure how far that is for you.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS Joe. I used to live in Halls of Residence at scraptoft when I attended De Montfort University back in the day. I live just near fosse business park now although am moving areas completely at the end of the month.

As far as dark areas go it is difficult as the darker areas are obviously in the country side out of the city and its difficult to find public land as its not right to just setup on farmers fields. Up by bradgate park is nice and dark am not sure if they close the gates to the carpark anymore but probably neat to seek permission still. Our dark site at wymeswold is great and only 17miles from Leicester.

Edited by catman161

Hi Joe and a warm welcome to EMS :)

As mentioned - there must be some places out on the A47 but knowing where to set up without bothering anyone can be a problem. I would recommend you come join us for a meeting at Wymeswold just up the A46 - if you have transport it's not to much of a drive and you'll get lots of advice and help from our members.

Meantime feel free to ask any questions in the appropriate section - someone will be along with an answer soon. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)