• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Milky Way wide.

Guest foundaplanet

Guest foundaplanet

I came out to my workshop on Monday night to try and capture some of the Perseids and with one exception had a miserable fail. 

I was though left with what is my best Milky Way capture to date and I think I have finally managed to process it about as well as I am capable of. I hope soon to be modding my 1000D, this is a stack of 8x3mins with 5 darks with stock 18-55mm @18mm.

Nice one Col - It never fails to amaze me just how many stars are up there. They look like you can just step from one to another even though in reality you couldn't travel between any two of them in a lifetime. :)

Guest foundaplanet

Nice one Col - It never fails to amaze me just how many stars are up there. They look like you can just step from one to another even though in reality you couldn't travel between any two of them in a lifetime. :)

Yes it is a tad on the large side. Great hobby, and it is nice to be meeting up with some more local observers.

Guest devil74

That is beautiful Col... i so want to image myself but don't want all the complications (and cost).

As Kim said the sheer number of stars is staggering...i certainly cant wait to see the Milky Way naked eye. You are so lucky to live in a location with sky like that..i'm jealous..any room for a lodger with a 10" Dob?

Guest foundaplanet

Thank you Sheila

That is beautiful Col... i so want to image myself but don't want all the complications (and cost).

As Kim said the sheer number of stars is staggering...i certainly cant wait to see the Milky Way naked eye. You are so lucky to live in a location with sky like that..i'm jealous..any room for a lodger with a 10" Dob?

Thanks Devil.

We are very lucky over this way and I think I am only just starting to fully appreciate how lucky, we would have to travel a very long way to better them.

Keep your eye on the venue at Badger Farm, ELAC have just made it their new home and I get up their a bit. I am also planning to have a couple more weekend camps their in September and October if you fancy that you will be very welcome..:)

That is lovely.

Was the camera just on a static mount or tracking?

Really great image. It would have been topped off with some meteor activity but they were very hard to capture.

James

Guest foundaplanet

That is lovely.

Was the camera just on a static mount or tracking?

Really great image. It would have been topped off with some meteor activity but they were very hard to capture.

James

Thank you James.

It was on an eq6.

I did manage to capture one meteor on another framing but most of them were not bright enough to show up.

Edited by foundaplanet

Nice.

I am just the meteor nay-sayer... Is that a meteor, or an iridium flare? There is a long trail before and after the peak of brightness....

But whatever, it's pretty, and the Milky Way again looks nice.

I will hopefully try to do some tracking widefield stuff when I go to Wales in a few weeks.

James

Guest foundaplanet

Nice.

I am just the meteor nay-sayer... Is that a meteor, or an iridium flare? There is a long trail before and after the peak of brightness....

But whatever, it's pretty, and the Milky Way again looks nice.

I will hopefully try to do some tracking widefield stuff when I go to Wales in a few weeks.

James

Ha, yeah you may well be right. It never even crossed my mind that it could be a flare.. I'll have to go and check the time of shot and see if I can find out now.. :facepalm:

Nice first image, you caught the north american nebula and pelican nebula :)

The second one i'm almost 100% sure it's an iridium flare, you caught M31 in that one aswell, nice :D

Eddy

That Cambridge Photographic Atlas of the Sky has really lovely pictures like the first one above, and it's lovely to see thos nebula in widefield.

James

Guest foundaplanet

Hmmm, I don't know much about finding out about these flares other than what is on heavensabove site. It does show this one as being the nearest to the time of my capture from my location at mag -4 and it is close to that of my image. My capture was at 23.13 on the 12th which means my shot is a half hour later than this one. I guess there are others though.

I've attempted to look up various iridum flares with little sucess. The time of on my cameras has been wrong, then one has to factor in day light saving, and I'm sure there are plenty of satellites which don't show up on the Heavens Above website.

Your streak just has the look of a man made satellite to me, but I am certainly no expert on such matters.

James

Guest foundaplanet

I think you are right and that it is a flare. there goes my single Perseid capture  :D.. Now happy to have a Flare with M31..

Col

As I say, whatever the source of the streak, all the images are wonderful, and rich in detail and stars. Having M31 in there too is the icing on the cake.

These have really made me keen on doing more widefield.

Keep up the good work.

James

• 1 month later...