Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to join the local astronomy forum covering the East Midlands!

Kheldar

Latest Purchases

3,244 posts in this topic

Already got volume 1 Autumn and Winter, so treated myself to vol 2 from FLO...

vol2.jpg

BAZ and catman161 like this

I have the Bresser Electronic Eyepiece for planetary/lunar/solar??? photography and have an intervalometer on its way!

Tweedledee likes this

2 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I have the Bresser Electronic Eyepiece for planetary/lunar/solar??? photography and have an intervalometer on its way!

Very nice Phil. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward a lot more images and some time lapses now. ;)

Sunny Phil likes this

2 x Baader Hyperion Mk 4 Zoom Eyepieces. (From Widescreen Centre @ Astrofest)

Info here :

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy-eyepieces-and-barlows/baader-eyepieces-barlow-lenses/baader-hyperion-universal-zoom-mark

Thought i'd give them a tryout.

If i find i can't get along with them, i will sell them on.

32014208264_529a657d42_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
Tweedledee likes this

Nice one Rob - been looking at these myself. If you decide to sell before I get one then let me know. :)

Nice Rob, they have a good FOV too 👍

Will do Kim. First impressions are positive enough.

They are well put together, offering 8 - 24 mm magnification options.

Theres 2" and 1.25" options. They have an M43 thread. Flo sell the M43 / T2 adapters so you can connect a camera etc.

Also winged eyecups. They have 'twist-up' eyecups so you can adjust eye relief etc. Theres evan a pouch to store them in.

How i get on with them / and how suitable they are for bino-viewing is the $64K question.

Just need a good night to try them out. How long that will be is anyones guess. Never known such a bad run of weather. I've observed just once this year so far.:(

I'll be in touch and give you first refusal if i wish to sell, and will give you a good discount. Current street price is £179.  (Flo & a few others)

6 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Nice Rob, they have a good FOV too 👍

Looking forward to seeing what they can do Steve.

I'm slightly concerned about the 50 deg fov @ 24mm.  I've been spoiled using 24 Pans (68deg) !!

21 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Looking forward to seeing what they can do Steve.

I'm slightly concerned about the 50 deg fov @ 24mm.  I've been spoiled using 24 Pans (68deg) !!

We all get spoilt with large FOVs, but it all depends what you are looking at...

These zooms have a decent FOV at the 8mm end though unlike most zooms, let us know how you get on with them... whenever that will be 💦🌨🌦

Brantuk likes this

My other Astrofest purchase has got me quite excited :

Astro Devices (based in Sydney, Australia)  Nexus DSC  (Digital setting circles)

I'm hoping this will revolutionise my observing.

It connects to encoders on the Altitude and Azimuth axis on my DM6 mount.

These were pre installed when i ordered it. This will give me an accurate way to locate any celestial object 

manually, following location arrows on the Nexus screen.

Best of all, it interfaces with popular planetarium software when out in the field (in my case Sky Safari Plus) 

by wireless conection using onboard Wifi & GPS.

I just need to fit it on top of my mount, do a bit of rewiring, and i'll be good to go.

Reading the manual, it looks to be fairly idiot proof ; a bonus for me.

I shall report on how it performs.

http://www.astrodevices.com/products/NexusDSC/index.html

32744550671_96c46ac0d9_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
Smithysteve and Tweedledee like this

Never realised that they had a Mark IV out. And they've improved the spec a little from the previous version. It looks like a good price as well. I'm sure they will be very convenient in your binoviewer. There are always compromises in having a do-it-all eyepiece, due to the smaller low power FOV and moving lenses/extra lenses that can introduce unwanted aberrations. There used to be a top class Leica zoom that sold for about £700 each, but I bet the Baaders will perform almost as well.

Looking forward to a first light report on them and with your new digital sc, you're going to have a fantastic setup. :thumbsup:

Bino-viewer likes this

Canon EOS 750D

I've been meaning to upgrade my DSLR for a while now ...... was looking at the Canon 750D or 760D.

The specs are very similar, although I've seen a couple of reports saying the 750D is better in low light. The main difference being the top LCD screen on the 760D.

I was leaning toward the 760D until I found an ex-display 750D for £399 (same camera on Jessops is £549)

Spoke to the seller ( http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk ) and they it is in 'as new' condition.  The protective film is still on the rear screen and all the accessories are still sealed.

It was the only one they had. Ordered and due to arrive on Thursday.

The DIGIC 6 processor should be a big improvement over my ageing 350D with the DIGIC II processor.

Will be used on my Vixen VC200L & SW Equinox 80, the Astrotrac and for everyday photography.

Tweedledee, Brantuk, red dwalf and 1 other like this

Nice one Al. :)

Al.Grant likes this

Glad to see you getting back into the hobby again Al. :thumbsup:

Al.Grant likes this

Cheers,

750D arrived yesterday evening.  Not had an opportunity to try it out yet, but can confirm the condition of the camera is 'mint'.

This was priced and sold as an ex-demo model, however the only thing I can see is a mark on the box. 

The camera and accessories are unmarked & unopened, if I had been told it was brand new I wouldn't have had any reason to doubt it.

Service from   http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/  was very good and I would have no issue using them again.  I'll certainly keep an eye on their Clearance & Ex-Demo items.

Portable power supply for Canon EOS 750D

Works in a similar manner to the cables/adaptors available for use with 12v car/leisure batteries but far more portable, which is a big consideration if using on the Astrotrac.

As this battery will attach nicely to the mount, closer to the camera, it will mean one less cable to trip over!

Cost is about the same as a single (official) Canon battery but claims to last for the equivalent of 6.

Time will tell but worth a go

CAB140519-7600.jpg

Al

A pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 binos to replace my 8x42 Visionary. Been toying with these as an idea for a purchase for ages but the latest drop in the pound spurred me on to getting them before the exchange rate plummet affects the price of optics again.

I was wondering if I would see much difference in quality between the old visionary binos and the Nikons, well after using them for birding and a few stars the other night I can quite easily say the difference is very noticeable. The Visionary binos are great for 50 quid but the ED glass Nikons really show what good glass is all about.

Tweedledee likes this

Very nice specification and quality on those Phil. They look like a brilliant all-rounder. :2thumbsup:

philjay likes this

They are nice and lightweight as well Pete, I hardly notice them round my  neck compared to some heavyweights I've had in the past.

They are made in China for Nikon but the quality is excellent. Nikon qc shows in them.

Edited by philjay